Mattermost

Your rating: None Average: 5 (14 votes)

Mattermost - is private cloud chat. And this is a native SailfishOS client for Mattermost.
This is early alpha version. The client is in active (not really in active) development.
What is done:

• messaging in private, direct and open channel
  • receive and send files, documents and images
  • edit, delete, reply and copy messages
  • connect to server with self-signet certificate
  • email or token authentication
  • Markdown with Emoji support (partially)
  • add/view reactions to messages
  • add photo directly from app
  • emoji picker supported

Source code: GitLab

Known bugs:
- for now, when take a photo, on some devices main camera cant focus ( work in progress )

Donate:

File harbour-mattermost-0.1.5-6.armv7hl.rpm1.56 MB01/06/2020 - 01:00
File harbour-mattermost-0.1.5-6.i486.rpm1.57 MB01/06/2020 - 01:00
File harbour-mattermost-0.1.6-6.i486.rpm1.57 MB03/06/2020 - 18:44
File harbour-mattermost-0.1.6-6.armv7hl.rpm1.54 MB03/06/2020 - 18:44
File harbour-mattermost-0.1.6-6.aarch64.rpm1.54 MB17/09/2021 - 16:25

version 0.1.6-6
- fix a lot of bugs https://gitlab.com/sashikknox/harbour-mattermost/-/releases/0.1.6-6
- add option to setting log level, or disable it

version 0.1.5-6
- contribute #25 add reactions page
- fix #35 show reactions under message
- fix #25 add reactions to message
- fix #33 add search field on chats view
- Contribute to #24 add optional Emoji keyboard layout
- fix code view in messages ( now code lines are wraped in text )
- partially fix #7 - can make photo from application ( but have some troubles with focus )

version 0.1.4-11
- fix #28 - change cache and data paths (with moving old cache and data to new paths).
- fix #29 - now teams/channels labels show unread/mentions count.
- fix #23 - wrong MD parsing, when use double ':' like here `this awesome link:https://customlink.com/subpage` - link is not clickable... now it fixed
- fix some emoji recognition, and add some special emojis ( like `rage[1-4] , trollface, godmode and other`
- fix #27 - show teams icons
- fix #30 - cant connect to mattermost, if it runs in subdirectory
- some progress in #6 - recieve `is typing` event from channels.
- remove staticaly build QWebSocket module
- bug fixes, refactoring, more new bugs!

version 0.1.3-17
- fix OBS build by Slava Monich, add him to contributors list
- fix LoginPage always connectiong state
- some samall refactoring, version up

version 0.1.3-16
- add Chinese translation

version 0.1.3-15
- add Emoji support
- add Markdown support (partially) (settings)
- add dark blob on messages background (settings)
- fix old bugs, add new bugs
- now images are cached, and save to gallery by user
- code refactoring
- improve image viewer

version 0.1.2-3
 - fix issue, segmentation fault #18
 - little bit updated ImageViewr (not finished), but now you can zoom and slide view ;)

varsion 0.1.2-1
- add status icons for users avatars
- open messages dialog when notification activated
- fix some bugs - fix russian translation

Comments

lispy's picture

Hi, this is the error I am seeing from the debuglogs:

It seems it is related to an upgrade:

lispy's picture

I really like this app, we use it in our big condo as a method to stay in touch with all the neighbours. There is just one thing that I run into on Xperia X and Xperia 10: sometimes when your write a message and send it it disappears and you have to start over again. Anyone else who ran into this behaviour?

sashikknox's picture

Did you receive errors in that time, like your session is outdated?
In most cases, its Websocket bug, some times it lost connection, but not show it ...
If you can, set in setting log level to debug, then try run mattermost from terminal with output stdout to fike:harbour-matttermost &> ~/mattermost.log
Then, when you got this bug again, close mattermost, and look in to your logs, delete sensetive data(like your server address, and token), then send it to me, to email, or telegramm. I'll try undestand what is going wrong

naytsyrhc's picture

Are there any plans to provide aarch64 version? Would be great!

sashikknox's picture

Yes, but now , i have new version, but it with lot.of bugs, cant fix it now, only can build.old version to aarch64 if you want )

naytsyrhc's picture

Would be great, yeah

sashikknox's picture

sorry, just forgot about it, now it avaliable

Seven_of_nine's picture

Very nice, many thanks! But I found a bug and want to report it:

It doesn't display invitations to Jitsi meetings. If a message contains a Jitsi invitation, only an empty message is shown. Additional text added to the Jitsi invitation is also not shown. Only an empty message with the sender and the time.

Text only messages and messages containing images and/or PDF files are shown correctly.

sashikknox's picture

This because jitsi invations -its messages with attachments, we already has report about this miss functional

planetos_store's picture

Just a note, works great with Server version 5.34.2 (I'm also the server admin) and running SFOS 3.4 on Vollaphone (and GS290). I haven't tried on my Fairphone yet.

sashikknox's picture

Nice,.glad to hear it! Did you have BUG with authentication token expired session error ?

Kabouik's picture

Yet I really tried many times with the previous version: from different Sailfish phones, different SFOS versions, different Internet connections, and even different Mattermost accounts and servers. Is there anything you changed that might have interacted with this issue? Good news anyway!
I really like the improvements on the image view, thanks.
Some random ideas for the future:
- previews on image URL;
- add an option to disable the automatic collapse of the keyboard after a message is sent (this would be my #1wish!);
- add an option to hide avatars and status icons, for a more streamlined view as in the SFOS sms app;
- smileys.
I know you don't have much time to actively develop the app. Just throwing some ideas so you see people are excited and enthusiastic with this app. :]

Historyscholar's picture

Awesome :)

M_Bln's picture

Hello Sashikknox,
I started the app from terminal. For error-output see here:
Thanks for checking.

sashikknox's picture

try update to 0.1.2-3 , it shoul now ask you login and password, without segmentation fault =)

sashikknox's picture

thakns! i try watch this later

M_Bln's picture

Thanks for this app!
Unfortunally app does not work anymore in SFOS 3.0.0.8; App auto closes directly after start. Any idea how to fix?

run app from terminal

harbour-mattermost
then watch errors in stdout log.
i am use my app every day, and it work in 3.0.*

Kabouik's picture

I can confirm the app dooesn't crash on my X Compact running SFOS3, however I am still having the issue I had with the Jolla C: I can read, but I can't send any message.

sashikknox's picture

try now update application, then run it from terminal

harbour-mattermost &> ~/mattermost_stdout.log

then try send few messages, then close mattermost. Look to log (if it has confidencial infomation, erase it), then send me log to private message. I'll try understand what is problem with message delivery.

Kabouik's picture

It seems to work with the new version, thanks!

sashikknox's picture

it's magic,because i not tried fix your problem in this release ))

sashikknox's picture

sorry for that =) really dont have time to fix that ...

Kabouik's picture

Is it still under development? Unfortunately I cannot connect to my server anymore. Before that, I was unable to send messages, but I could connect and read other's messages. Now, nothing happens when I tap on "Login".

sashikknox's picture

yes, it still in de elopment, very slow development :(, i have a lot of work and dont have time for this project now...

try run mattermost from terminal harbour-mattermost, and look to stdout, it should show you a problem with your configuration... or you can give me login and password for you server (in privage message), and i try test it and locale a problem.

Kabouik's picture

I've been waiting for a native Mattermost client for so long, thank you so much. Trying it immediately.

Kabouik's picture

Unfortunately I don't understand how to send a message. Typing on Return/Enter on the virtual SF keyboard starts a new line (which is cool), and typing on the mail icon above it just expands or collapses the virtual keyboard (and removes the previously entered text if it has not been sent; not cool), so I don't know where to tap to actually send something. Could we have both new-line and send on the same key (either an icon in the UI, but preferably the Return key on the keyboard), like that: https://openrepos.net/content/ancelad/patch-send-messages-button-holding? This was great.

Also, would it be possible in future versions to disable status icons on contacts in the chat, and just have them in the channel list page (where all private conversations and contacts are listed)? It would allow removing some clutter from the main view.

Speaking of cluttering, any plans for emoticons and custom emoticons, as well as markdown formatting?

Finally, it seems administrator rights are not yet implemented. I can delete my own messages but not those of others, yet I have this right on the webview or desktop client.

Of course I'm just listing things as I notice them, I know the application is in development and I'll enjoy it as soon as I figure out how to send messages! Thanks again for this app!

sashikknox's picture

it would be nice, if you create issues in GitLab with your features requests, and founded bugs.

To send messages, you just need tap "mail" icon. But now app have problems with stable connection (especially when the network state changes):

i use websockets for real time connection (as desktop client), but websockets some times cant detect network state, and when you click "send message", it just send request with data to server, but not verifying their delivery.

of course i will try to fix that bugs =)

emojies, markdown - it in my plans
administrators priveleges not, because first I want to end with the client part of the application

About status icons, maybe you right, maybe i will add feature to disable status icons ... but i think status icons need in any goup chats, and can be  disabled in direct channels only. In desktop app, it show status icons everywhere =)

Kabouik's picture

I will definitely open issues if I notice bugs, but it seems you already know about the "Send message" bug, and the rest of my post was more about feature requests.

It's weird though because the mail icon didn't work at all for me to send a message, even with a stable connection at home (I have not even tried with 3g/4g yet). There was no connection change, but the icon never sent the message, and instead it wipes what is being written if you tap it twice in a row (wich is an issue).

About administrator privileges, just to be clear, I was not talking about the system console and statistics and such, just the edition/deletion rights for all messages in the client.

Finally, you are absolutely right about status icons. They are most of the time useful, and they do show up in the desktop apps with no way to remove them. But I think mobile applications bring new constraints, as they are more easily cluttered. I'm not saying they are not useful, but having an option to remove them and clear the view into something like the jolla-messages app would be great. For instance, on my server, there are very few people and I can just keep track of who is online or offline by checking my list of DM conversation with every people (there is an icon there as well), while I would prefer icons to be totally removed from the main group chats.

Can't wait for the next updates, I'm using Mattermost everyday but using it when on the move has always been an issue with my Jolla (the Android application is very slow and unstable, the webview in native browsers is even worse).

naytsyrhc's picture

More info to error on TJC as requested.