Jupii

UPnP/DLNA client for Sailfish OS

Following features are implemented:

- Discovery of UPnP/DLNA devices in a local network
- Remote control (Play, Pause, Next, Prev, Seek, Volume up/down)
- Playing local content (Music, Video, Images) on Media Renderer devices
- Playing gPodder's podcasts
- Playing remote content (e.g. internet radio, SomaFM channels, Icecast streams, FOSDEM videos, Bandcamp, SoundCloud, TuneIn stations)
- Playing items from Media Servers on Media Renderer devices
- Streaming of local Microphone to Media Renderer devices
- Streaming of audio playback of any local application (similar functionality to pulseaudio-dlna server)
- Screen casting (beta feature)
- Recording of tracks in Icecast streams
- Play queue (play once/repeat options)
- Playlists (saving/opening)
- Sharing content to other devices via UPnP Media Server

Any comments, issue reports are highly appreciated.

Translations:
All translations are very welcome. There are three ways to contribute:
- [preferred] Transifex project: https://www.transifex.com/mkiol/jupii/
- Direct github pull request: https://github.com/mkiol/Jupii/tree/master/sailfish/translations
- Translation file sent to me via e-mail: jupii@mkiol.net

Source code: https://github.com/mkiol/Jupii
Bugs, Feature requests: https://github.com/mkiol/Jupii/issues or just email: jupii@mkiol.net

Keywords:

File harbour-jupii-2.9.1-2.i486.rpm3.78 MB15/03/2021 - 13:43
File harbour-jupii-2.9.1-2.aarch64.rpm3.47 MB15/03/2021 - 13:43
File harbour-jupii-2.9.1-2.armv7hl.rpm3.4 MB15/03/2021 - 13:43
File harbour-jupii-2.10.0-1.i486.rpm3.79 MB24/11/2021 - 20:17
File harbour-jupii-2.10.0-1.aarch64.rpm3.48 MB24/11/2021 - 20:17
File harbour-jupii-2.10.0-1.armv7hl.rpm3.41 MB24/11/2021 - 20:17
File harbour-jupii-2.10.1-1.armv7hl.rpm3.42 MB27/11/2021 - 20:22
File harbour-jupii-2.10.1-1.aarch64.rpm3.48 MB27/11/2021 - 20:22
File harbour-jupii-2.10.1-1.i486.rpm3.8 MB27/11/2021 - 20:28

2.10.1 (RC harbour release)

• Fixes for bugs in Album browser (albums without 'album artist' weren't displayed correctly)
  • Improvements in device discovery
  • External libs update to the most recent versions (FFmpeg, Libupnpp, x264)
  • Translations update: German, Polish, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish (As always many to all translators for their great effort!)

2.10.0 (beta release)

• Fixes for bugs discovered in SFOS 4.3 (Due to Tracker upgrade in the recent SFOS release, Album and Artist browser did not work correctly)
  • Fixes to SoundCloud integration (SoundCould API has been changed and therefore adding music from SoundCloud browser was broken)
  • Jupii as an option in 'Open link' dialog (Jupii can open links and it appears in 'Open link' dialog when you click on the link in other applications)

For more details see the About->Changes page in the app.

Comments

nowave7's picture

Ah yes, you are right. I misunderstood some of the features listed, and thought that it could also play content from media servers. Thanks for the clarification!

nowave7's picture

Hi, I connected to my RaspberryPI media server, but can't seem to stream any of my mp3 music. I add the titles to the play queue, but i can't seem to fnd any way to actually stary with the reproduction. The server is not an issue, VLC on android is streaming music, no problems at all. One thing I did notice, however, is that in order to find the server in the first place, I needed to enable 'All devices visible' in the settings. Dont know if that makes any difference... Any idea what i might be missing? Thanks!

mkiol's picture

Most likely you're trying to use this app for something it is not designed for. Jupii is a Media Server (primary use case), so it serves content (usually files stored on SFOS device) to Media Renderer in your local network. You can't play content from Media Server on the phone with Jupii. You was not able to see your RaspberryPI server on devices list because only Media Renderer devices are shown on that list (the device on which you can play content).

I think that app you are looking for is Donnie. With Donnie you can set as Renderer 'Built-in Player' and play files from a media server.

mkiol's picture

I've just noticed that the first Jupii's screenshoot shows RespberryPI on devices list. It is possible because I've installed mpd and upmpdcli on my Pi. My Pi has speeker connected and I use it as media player (not as media server).

border's picture

Just found out about the audio capture function. This is perfect for all my needs (Sony Xperia 10). Thank you very much for Jupii!!

mkiol's picture

Welcome. I'm glad you found Jupii useful :)

Bramba's picture

Thank you very much for your great efforts! :-)

Did anybody test the app with TechniSat-devices? They have this ELAC-controller included. In Jupii I can detect and connect a AudioMaster without any problems, but I can not process any further.

As soon as I try to play a specific music file, the "waiting" circle at the music file will appear, stucks after a few seconds and the app crashes.

Can I provide you some log files anyhow?

mkiol's picture

Thanks for the report. Issue will be tracked in https://github.com/mkiol/Jupii/issues/34

Kabouik's picture

I'm having issues with the screen cast feature. I have tried it from Pro1 to multiple devices, but every time the resolution is broken (not sure what is the displayed resolution but fonts are unreadable) and the cast is not smooth (often frozen, with >10s of lag too), despite no walls blocking the WiFi. Could it be caused by the native 2160x1080 resolution of the Pro1 or is it the same with other phones? My TVs are only 1080p, but I don't know if there is a way to limit the cast resolution.

mkiol's picture

Unfortunately Screen capture does not work well - sorry :( This feature is an experiment and freezes, lags are something that you might observe. It happens because CPU is not power enough to handle real-time video encoding. I did not figure out yet how to use hardware-based encoding.

In the Settings there is "Sceen capture quality" slider. You can change the quality of the stream to test if lower resolution makes stream more stable. The options are:

1 (most left) - device resolution / 4, low quality of resolution downscaling

2 - device resolution / 4, high quality of resolution downscaling

3 - device resolution / 2, high quality of resolution downscaling

4 - original device resolution, no downscaling

5 - original device resolution, no downscaling, higher framerate

lxmx's picture

Actually Jupii pairs nicely with the locally installed Kodi. I am a happy Bandcamper now!

lxmx's picture

Given that Jupii is the only native Bandcamp client for SFOS, it would be awesome if it could also play the content locally on the phone. Wonder if you considered that :)

mkiol's picture

Actually I did consider that :)

The only turn down is lack of public API. Jupii uses "ugly" html parser to extract relevant data from Bandcamp. It works now but it will break everytime when structure of bandcamp web page gets changed.

leighelse's picture

Thank you for this fantastic utility. I'm astonished at how well it works, but have one issue you may be able to advise on.

I'm using Jupii with my Xperia XA2 Plus and a Panasonic Vierra 43EX600. I can select any number of items of any type in a queue. The first item plays, but nothing I do will persuade Jupii to automatically play the following item. For example, if I select all the tracks in a music album, track 1 plays and then playback stops and the TV returns to whatever it was doing before Jupii interrupted.

Is there likely to be a solution for this? If so, how can I help find it? Would generating a log be useful?

Thanks again for Jupii though; it's invaluable even with this shortcoming.

leighelse's picture

I should have noted in my original post that the "Next" button is always greyed out within Jupii's player, even when I've selected a queue of similar items (eg, tracks from a music album).

mkiol's picture

Thanks for letting me known about this issue.

Yes, the log would be very helpful. Just select "Settings"->"Enable logging", restart Jupii, do what leads to the issue, close Jupii, send me the log file (/home/nemo/jupii.log) to jupii@mkiol.net.

DLNA implementations on TVs (Samsung, Sony) are very picky and sometimes buggy as well. There is also an alternative mode. Did you try browsing content through you TV interface instead Jupii playback control? You can start Jupii and instead selecting the device just swipe right to the play queue. Every item on play queue should be accessible from your TV interface i.e. TV should detect that Jupii (new media server source) is available in your local network. From my experience this mode works much better on TV.

ajalkane's picture

Thank you for this software. I have currently nothing to ask for, just glad I can play music through my TV and wanted to thank you for your hard work!

Ezreal's picture

Is it possible to implement the accepted function like kodi. On my xa2, I use the Android media app to cast the videos to the native kodi, which works very well.  I think this is a nice feature.

mkiol's picture

Could you please be more specific? How "accepted function" works?

enrish's picture

Ok, I've sent the log. Thank you!

enrish's picture

Thanks for the update! Since you don't accept donations I'll have to be more grateful :) I have noticed whenever I pause a video, after a second it goes blank and the tv starts. There is no way to resume, just to restart the video again from scratch. Is it just my tv or normal behaviour? Thanks

mkiol's picture

Logs will be very helpful.

Please enable logging (Settings->Enable logging), restart Jupii, do what causes the error, copy log file and send it to me (jupii[at]mkiol.net).

enrish's picture

Thank you so much for keeping this great little app updated! Works fine on my panasonic from 2013! I loved to find I can even fast forward/rewind videos from my remote control. Btw, I couldn't find a paypal link anywhere, is there any?

mkiol's picture

My pleasure. I'm super glad that someone finds my app useful!

Sorry. I'm not accepting any donations right now. Maybe in the future...

benclark06's picture

hi, i cant seem to connect to kodi, ive got upnp on but it doesnt seem to show up when i open it up.

mkiol's picture

It should work. I've tested it with Kodi on Pi on Linux desktop and even on Android tablet without any problems.

Did you enable Settings->Services->UPnP/DLNA-> "Enable UPnP support" and "Allow remote control via UPnP" on Kodi?  Your phone and Kodi are in the same LAN?

If nothing helps I could try to investigate logs. Please enable logging (Jupii settings, last option), restart Jupii, do some tests and send me back the log file (/home/nemo/jupii.log). Email: jupii@mkiol.net

JacekJagosz's picture

Firstly, I have never used UPnP before.
My Philips Smart TV is not shown by default and when you enable unsupported devices in the app it is visible, but although its type is MediaRenderer:3 I can't stream to it. It supports: RenderingControl:3, ConnectionManager:3, AVTransport:3
In TV's settings I have Digital Media Renderer enabled.
Do you know why it doesn't work?

mkiol's picture

Oooo... it appears that I've harcoded "MediaRenderer:1" in the devices filter :-/

I'm planning to release a new version near the end of the next week and this will be fixed. If you want to try pre-release version now, you can download rpm package from my GitHub: https://github.com/mkiol/Jupii/blob/master/binary/harbour-jupii-2.6.0-1....

mkiol's picture

Issue should be fixed in 2.6.0 release.

objectifnul's picture

AudioCapture no longer working (Xperia X SFOS 3.x)