Battery Buddy

Note: Update to 3.15 resets all intervals to 24h, so please check the settings!

Fully discharging a battery and charging it back to full charge again wears it out sooner than you might expect. Battery Buddy can help you increase the battery lifetime by automatically pausing and resuming charging. You can set alerts for low and full enough charge levels, too.

Important: Battery Buddy 3.6-1 and later releases require SailfishOS 3.3. The legacy version that supports SailfishOS 2.2.0.18 and later can be downloaded manually from GitHub releases page.

The application comes with a service component that takes care of charger control and alerts. This means that the application doesn't have to be opened for alerts and limits to work - which is against Jolla Store policy, and hence worth mentioning here. You can control the service from the application (start/stop and enable/disable on boot).

There is now a logging option, which can be accessed via the Settings page pulley menu, with three logging options. You can copy the log contents, too, so submitting the service log for debugging purposes is now a lot more convenient! Using --verbose and --debug flags still work as before.

Please note that the charger control mechanism may not work for every device out there. So far it has been successfully tested with the following devices:

• F(x)tec Pro¹
  • Jolla Phone
  • Sony Xperia 10
  • Sony Xperia X
  • Sony Xperia X Compact
  • Sony Xperia XA2
  • Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra
  • Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet

Please let me know if it works for your device, or if it doesn't work!

Bug reports and translations are most welcome!

If you like my work and would like to support me, you can now buy me a coffee.

Source code can be found in GitHub.

File harbour-batterybuddy-3.11-1.aarch64.rpm114.97 KB27/04/2021 - 21:49

• Use `systemctl-user` instead of `systemctl --user`

3.15-1

• Implement BackgroundActivity timed events
  • Drop keepalive-tool

3.14-1

• Special pi version release :D
  • Use keepalive-tool to mitigate deep sleep
  • Update translators and credits
  • Update Polish translation (thanks, atlochowski)
  • Update Deutch translation (thanks, nephros)

3.13-1

• Show battery temperature and condition (thanks, nephros)
  • Show notifications about abnormal temperature and condition (thanks, nephros)
  • Fix broken notifications on SFOS 3.4 and earlier
  • Bring back SFOS 2.2 support

Full changelog in GitHub.

Comments

moses_s's picture

Yes. Charging control works fine now in version 3.8-1, just like it used to in the old days :)

Thanks a lot Matti. Is there a way to support your efforts via contributions/donations?

Moses.

huggymann's picture

Yes, check the app description and lood for

buy me a coffee
huggymann's picture

Hello, i am using xperia x compact phone. the notifications are working fine but the automatic charging control does not. I restarted the service multiple time and restarted my phone as well. It always charges up to 100% . Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

i have sailfish 3.4.0.24

Regards

direc85's picture

This should be now fixed in version 3.8-1. Does it work for you?

huggymann's picture

hello direc, strange thing, it is not working yet. I supposed to but after trying out today, its not working. I just reinstalled sailfish and installed battery buddy, but its not working :(

what i can see is that when i hit on "start background service" in the options to disable it. It will never finish. the circle starts blinking forever. Does that help you? Can i do anyting to help you debugging?

direc85's picture

Actually  let's take this to GitHub Issues instead. I'll open a ticket for you.

direc85's picture

I guess the background service doesn't start or doesn't function properly... Can you post output of the following commands?

systemctl --user status harbour-batterybuddy.service

systemctl --user stop harbour-batterybuddy.service

harbour-batterybuddy-daemon --debug

(Now try to change a few settings in the application  and exit the service with Ctrl-C.)

I think I'll improve the debugging abilities to make it easier to report new devicea and hunt down bugs.

huggymann's picture

Thank you so much!

Maximilian1st's picture

I just bought an Xperia 10 and the app does not start at boot and automatic charging control does not work.

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting. I found the bug and fixed it in 3.8-1. Does it work for you now?

Maximilian1st's picture

Hi and thank you for this utility. I use a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact and the app sends warnings when needed. It disregards the silent ambience which is a problem at night but unfortunately the automatic charging control does not work. ;-p you could add this phone to the working list.

direc85's picture

This should have been fixed in 3.7-1 already. Could you please test it?

Historyscholar's picture

Can you update Chinese translation?I have update it.

direc85's picture

I just merged a small update yesterday, did you mean that?

I added one new string ("Current:" as in electric current) so there's not that much to update this time :)

moses_s's picture

Bug: I second the last commentor and confirm that on the Sony Xperia 10 Plus (mine is the dual-sim model i4213) there is a bug since the Sailfish 3.4 updade (I am running v3.4.0.24 Pallas-Yllastunturi). The app does not stop the charging of the phone once "Pause charging limit" setting is met. By the way, thanks a lot for a great, great app, direc85!

direc85's picture

Thanks, this should be now fixed in 3.8-1.

zipotron's picture

Hello! I just want to report a regression bug, since the last two updates, when the charge reach the 'stop charging limit', is true that charge don't rice more but seams that charging doesn't stop, and before was stopping and discharging until the low limit. I hope the report is useful for improve this amazing app.

direc85's picture

Sorry for the delay, but it should be fixed in 3.8-1. Can you test it?

PawelSpoon's picture

Works now well on xperia 10 !

direc85's picture

Great! Thanks for the update!

rob_k's picture

Yes, solved after reboot. Thanks!

rob_k's picture

Battery Buddy makes a pling sound when charging from 75% every minute, even though my settings are 89%, 5 minutes. Great app nonetheless! It's up to date, so 3.5-2 I guess.

rob_k's picture

This is still the case (or again). My XA2 has a new installation of Pallas 3.4.0.24. The Dutch weather app WelkWeer did not work after installation, and it appeared that Jolla has changed some things deep down. For instance, I do no longer have a user nemo but defaultuser instead. And the directory /run/state is no longer there.

So, I am up to date with Battery Buddy. My settings are:
- Start background service: on
- Automatic charging control: on, 89% and 65%
- Notification both off, settings at 89% and 30%, both intervals at 10:00

Still, after plugging in the power USB cable, I get a notification when battery level reaches 75%, and I get it every minute. What can be the cause of this?

direc85's picture

Hi, and thanks for reporting.

There has always been something unreliable about delivering changes from the GUI to the daemon. I have improved it a few fimes, but it's still not that reliable, it seems. The glorious state of Works For Me (TM) is not good enough - I'll see what I can do. (Well, if you lads and lasses have good ideas, please share them.)

About 3.4.0.24: It seems that I completely forgot that `nemo`isn't the default user, but `defaultuser` instead (pun not inteded actually). This requires rethinking some areas around the same config changes, and I think using DBus would be The Right Thing (TM) to do, but I'll have to learn that first.

I'm quite busy at the time, so this will take some time.I opened tickets in GitHub. I'll open a ticket regarding this in GitHub.

direc85's picture

Try stopping and starting the service using the buttons, or reboot the device.

Historyscholar's picture

Can you update Chinese translation?

direc85's picture

Updated and released in 3.5-2, as well as the French translation!

stickedlabel's picture

Looks like after last system update the service is unable to start. I installed BB after taking last system update of SFOS 3.4

Thanks for commenting.

I only did rather quick testing, and didn't notice that some parts of the application doesn't work anymore. On my Xperia XA2 Ultra, charge control still works, but stopping/starting the service using the buttons don't work anymore. It looks like the services are both up and running just fine, but I need to double check that.

Edit: Oh shoot, SFOS 3.4 is now a) updated b) released to all. I really gotta bump this up!

oxygenh's picture