Battery Buddy

Fully discharging a battery and charging it back to full charge again wears it out sooner than you might expect. Battery Buddy can help you increase the battery lifetime by automatically pausing and resuming charging. You can set alerts for low and full enough charge levels, too.

The application comes with a service component that takes care of charger control and alerts. This means that the application doesn't have to be opened for alerts and limits to work - which is against Jolla Store policy, and hence worth mentioning here. You can control the service from the application (start/stop and enable/disable on boot).

You can better see what's going on by running the application or daemon with --verbose or --debug options. Help is available with --help option.

Please note that the charger control mechanism may not work for every device out there. So far it has been successfully tested with the following devices:

• F(x)tec Pro¹
  • Jolla Phone
  • Sony Xperia 10
  • Sony Xperia X
  • Sony Xperia X Compact
  • Sony Xperia XA2
  • Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra
  • Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet

Please let me know if it works for your device, or if it doesn't work!

Bug reports and translations are most welcome!

If you like my work and would like to support me, you can now buy me a coffee.

Source code can be found in GitHub.

File harbour-batterybuddy-2.1-2.armv7hl.rpm68.54 KB22/03/2020 - 22:22
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.4-1.i486.rpm115.27 KB14/06/2020 - 19:42
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.5-1.armv7hl.rpm108.39 KB19/10/2020 - 07:51
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.5-1.i486.rpm114.73 KB19/10/2020 - 07:51
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.5-2.armv7hl.rpm108.94 KB19/10/2020 - 09:32
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.5-2.i486.rpm115.23 KB19/10/2020 - 09:32

3.5-2

• Update Chinese translation (thanks, dashinfantry)
  • Update French translation (thanks, esang-dev)

3.5-1

• Fix service control buttons on SFOS 3.4
  • Drop custom slider element

3.4-1

• Check service status when starting app
  • Add controls to enable/disable service at boot
  • Trigger notifications when charger is connected/disconnected
  • Fix notifications and sounds (broken since 3.2)
  • Reset notification ID after closing it
  • Fix cover page text wrap issue
  • Minor repo/code cleanup

3.3-1

• Start user service at boot
  • Remove all old versions of the service
  • Fix start and stop service controls
  • Update Swedish translation (thanks, eson57)

3.2-1

• Run daemon without root privileges
  • Add start and stop daemon controls

3.1-1

• Update Chinese translation (thanks, dashinfantry)
  • Don't alert on "100% idle" (e.g. emulator)

3.0-1

• Reimplemented systemd service controls charging and notifications
  • GUI doesn't have to be open for proper operation
  • Added Ko-Fi donation link
  • Translation fixes
  • Identical with 2.99-1 / v3.0 beta 1

Full changelog in GitHub.

Comments

rob_k's picture

Yes, solved after reboot. Thanks!

rob_k's picture

Battery Buddy makes a pling sound when charging from 75% every minute, even though my settings are 89%, 5 minutes. Great app nonetheless! It's up to date, so 3.5-2 I guess.

direc85's picture

Try stopping and starting the service using the buttons, or reboot the device.

Historyscholar's picture

Can you update Chinese translation?

direc85's picture

Updated and released in 3.5-2, as well as the French translation!

stickedlabel's picture

Looks like after last system update the service is unable to start. I installed BB after taking last system update of SFOS 3.4

direc85's picture

Thanks for commenting.

I only did rather quick testing, and didn't notice that some parts of the application doesn't work anymore. On my Xperia XA2 Ultra, charge control still works, but stopping/starting the service using the buttons don't work anymore. It looks like the services are both up and running just fine, but I need to double check that.

Edit: Oh shoot, SFOS 3.4 is now a) updated b) released to all. I really gotta bump this up!

oxygenh's picture

I have same trouble.

enrish's picture

That was a quick implementation. Thanks!!!

zipotron's picture

Hi Derec! amazing improvement the daemon, just report a bug, plus the issue that if your battery is charged more than the lower boundary of charging regime and you plug the phone because you what to charge is not going a charge... there is another issue, if you deactivate the daemon, when restart is active again, could be nice to remember the active status and boot.
 Thanks!!!!

direc85's picture

Thanks! I actually forgot to check if the service is running or not when starting the app, fixing that soon!

There really should be a setting for enabling or disabling the service at boot, good idea! Fixing that soon, too!

enrish's picture

Thanks. I see, under the hood it's quite complicated, but the solution you described would be nice, hope it will turn out.
As for the feedback here is more: just now i run again into the ' connected but not charging issue'... This time I tried to press the 'Pause' button in the app (it was not already paused as 'Resume' was greyed out) then 'Resume' again and it started charging. So no need to reboot the phone...

enrish's picture

Hi Direc, I have just noticed the daemon implementation in the last update. While it's handy and requested by many, it'd be nice to have a toggle to disable it, a bit like in Depecher.
Some people like to have as little daemons running as possible, even just for battery life.
More importantly, if something goes wrong with the app and it interferes with charging, it would be nice to be able to turn it off.

Two days ago I connected the phone to the charger and the status was 'connected' but not charging. I closed battery buddy, disconnected and reconnected, the system icon was showing the charger was connected but the battery wasn't charging. I thought the cable was broken and moved it a bit, but nothing worked until I restarted the phone. So now I guess it might have been the daemon underneath that got 'stuck' and kept charging disabled... and restarting the phone stopped the daemon.
Anyway, thanks once more for this very essential app!

direc85's picture

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally there was only a one-shot daemon to fix the file permissions issue regarding charger control, and that always ran at boot. One solution could be to bring that back, and then run the current daemon in user context. That way - I think - it would be possible to create the UI elements to stop and start the service.

I have been thinking about that one for a while, I'll create an issue about it in GitHub.

objectifnul's picture

Service restart doesn't help (J1 phone): "Could not find any zN.M subdirs!"

direc85's picture

That specific message is ambience-related, and you can fix it by creating the said dir :)

objectifnul's picture

Okay, but the link ambience-batterybuddy is beyond my understanding.

nephros's picture

Yes, service restart seems to fix the misfiring alerts.

objectifnul's picture

Works fine with my XperiaX but not with my Jolla phone:
When I execute /usr/bin/harbour-batterybuddy-daemon in fingerterm, I get a "Segmentation error".

direc85's picture

It might be that the daemon loses touch with the config file. I'll see what I can do about it.

nephros's picture

I think it is triggered by selecting pause and then resume in the app but not sure.

direc85's picture

Does rebooting the device help? Well, technically, restarting the daemon is what I'm after:

`$ devel-su systemctl restart harbour-batterybuddy.service`

nephros's picture

Removed the file, restarted the app, turned off notifications and increased the interval but still notifications every minute.

nephros's picture

Same here.

[General]
highAlert=@ByteArray(85)
highLimit=@ByteArray(85)
interval=@ByteArray(600)
limitEnabled=@ByteArray(0)
lowAlert=@ByteArray(10)
lowLimit=@ByteArray(49)
notificationHighText=Please disconnect the charger.
notificationLowText=Please connect the charger.
notificationTitle=Battery charge %1%
notificationsEnabled=@ByteArray(0)
PawelSpoon's picture

Hi, since the last update i get notifications on low battery, buti did not choose the option. So should not receive any notification interval is also ignored. Do get a message every minute.

direc85's picture

Could you post contents of `~/.config/harbour-batterybuddy/harbour-batterybuddy.conf`?

oxygenh's picture

3.1.1 - It's ok on Sony XPeria X Compact (SailfishX 3.3.16).
direc85, thank you very much!
Feature request: integfrate conrols at system seеtings ;)

direc85's picture

Great! Adding it to the list!

Controlling battery settings from within Settings app actually makes a lot of sense... Let's see if I'll make it happen :)

oxygenh's picture

Thank you very much. For example you can see as it made at Battery notifier 2 by Schturman ( https://openrepos.net/content/schturman/battery-notifier-2 )

michl's picture

Also workson F(x)tec Pro¹!

Nice Job! Thank you!