YTPlayer

YTPlayer is an unofficial YouTube client for SailfishOS. With it you can - you guessed it - watch YouTube videos! You can log in, like and dislike videos, subscribe and unsubscribe to channels among other things.

I forked and bundled a minimal version of youtube-dl to increase speed and increase YTPlayer user experience. YouTube now works on your old trusty Jolla Phone without any issues! At this time the update functionality is disabled; this version is bundled with youtube-dl-lite 2020.05.08.

This version is for SailfishOS 3.3.0 Rokua and newer. For older SailfishOS versions (tested with 2.2.1 Nurmonjoki) please download the legacy release below.

harbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.armv7hl.rpm

arbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.i486.rpm

Known limitations:

• Only 360p and 720p videos are supported
  • Some vides are available only at 360p
  • Fetching newest videos from all subscribed channels doesn't work
  • Recommened videos may not show relevant results

This version is a fork of YTPlayer by osetr, which is a fork of YTPlayer by tworaz.

Source code is available at GitHub. Pull requests and translations are welcome! Especially tweaks regarding YouTube API v3 and coping with its limitations are highly appreciated!

If you like this app and would like to support me maintaining it, you can buy my a cup of coffee!

File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.9-1.armv7hl.rpm273.92 KB15/09/2019 - 14:19
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.15-1.armv7hl.rpm696.52 KB01/06/2020 - 18:38
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.15-1.i486.rpm729.67 KB01/06/2020 - 18:38
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.armv7hl.rpm699.91 KB11/06/2020 - 09:23
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.i486.rpm732.38 KB11/06/2020 - 09:23

0.6.16-1

• Update youtube-dl-lite to 2020.05.08

Full change log can be found in GitHub.

Comments

direc85's picture

That's true. I have no idea how I missed that. Thanks!

t0t3u's picture

Can you also include Subscribe option (like uTube has) whitout the need of an YouTube account?

Thank you!

akikk88's picture

Sounds good! :)

direc85's picture

Sailfish SDK 2.1 has been released and the Jolla Store release of YTPlayer is getting closer! Please report all issues as soon as possible! Thanks!

wesbluemarine's picture

I 've created a Pull Request for adding an audio only streaming, do you think is possible?

Thanks

direc85's picture

Actually I tried to implement 1080p support, which doesn't seem to be possible at the moment but I can still try a few things, and I stumbled upon audio only streams. It doesn't look complicated at all, so audio only might be way easier than I thought :) I'll check your PR if I can isolate your changes.

direc85's picture

I can have a look at it, but please make the pull request to my repo instead, now it's on tworaz's repo. It gets really difficult to figure out the changes this way...

wesbluemarine's picture

Great app!
With black text ambiences the play/pause button is not visible in the tasks grid.

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting this!

I had totally forgotten dark ambiences exist, so I have to go through all my apps (:

247's picture

Seems is not working for me as the circle is spinning forever, already deleted and re-installed but it hasn't helped me...

247's picture

Ok it's working now

direc85's picture

I had this issue a few times, too, but I couldn't pinpoint the reason why it did it. How did you get working?

Skillmon's picture

Thank you very much. I have just one request, can you please change the icon back to purple? There is a logic behind the colors and multimedia is purple.

Shervrar's picture

Is this because the SFOS media app is purple, or is there something else that says so? For what it's worth, I like the red. It makes sense as YT is red.

Skillmon's picture

That's a convention from the Harmattan days which was followed at least in the early days of SFOS. If you take a look at the multimedia apps in the store or on OpenRepos many of them are in fact purple, e.g. Unplayer, YTPlayer (except this fork), Daedalus, many of the podcast/radio apps. Following such conventions adds to quick operation of the phone and gives the whole OS a more uniform and coherent look.

direc85's picture

Actually the icon was only partially in SVG format, so I'm considering the old logo for the Store release.

Thanks for commenting.

This indeed seems to be a trend. If it doesn't turn out hideous - it shouldn't - I'll update the icon color in the next release, which should land in Jolla Store, too.

Skillmon's picture

Thank you very much for your answer (and all the work you're putting into this!). Sorry that it took me this long to finally notice your comments. Again, thank you very much!

carmenfdezb's picture

Thanks for the update, it works perfect now

Shervrar's picture

Going on 'subscriptions' lists the channels I am subscribed to, but selecting 'latest videos' shows some random videos from channels I definitely didn't subscribe to. Any Idea how I can see my subscription feed?

direc85's picture

I *think* it shows the latest uploads in general, not your subscriptions' latest videos. I'll check the API if it provides anything useful...

Shervrar's picture

Not sure how good this would be, but if the API does not provide a way to see subscription videos anymore there is another way: RSS.

Users can export a opml file from https://www.youtube.com/subscription_manager. I guess you could make users be able to import their opml file to show subscriptions?

That would admittedly raise the complexity of the program though.

Also, would it be possible to make the app open videos it got as an argument? I was considering just using an external RSS app as a workaround and opening youtube links with harbour-ytplayer, but `harbor-ytplayer https://youtube.com/watch?v=1234567` does not cause the video to open in the app.

akikk88's picture

I restart phone and now works :) thanks man

Good to hear!

direc85's picture

Strange, I had no issues. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm away until then.

akikk88's picture

I install again and now app don't open

direc85's picture

Whoops! I uploaded a wrong 0.6.2-1 build for armv7hl by accident, so please uninstall and install it again.

Sorry for the mixup!

akikk88's picture

Ok, thanks

akikk88's picture

1080p playback support?

direc85's picture

This has been on my mind, too. I'll see what I can do, once the current situation gets a bit more stable.