YTPlayer

0.6.12-BETA

This version contains major changes but should still work well - please test and comment below!

Version 0.6.12 is a beta release: I'm testing a minimal version of youtube-dl to increase YTPlayer responsiveness and minimize waiting times in many places of the software. At this time the update functionality is disabled; this version is bundled with youtube-dl 2020.02.16.

YTPlayer is an unofficial YouTube client for SailfishOS.

This version is a fork of YTPlayer by osetr, which is a fork of YTPlayer by tworaz.

The current version is mostly just an updated build with current youtube-dl, but there are important performance fixes and many layout adjustements, too.

Source code is available at GitHub. Pull requests and translations are welcome!

File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.9-1.armv7hl.rpm273.92 KB15/09/2019 - 14:19
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.9-1.i486.rpm295.42 KB15/09/2019 - 14:19
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.10-1.armv7hl.rpm274.41 KB25/09/2019 - 01:07
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.10-1.i486.rpm295.72 KB25/09/2019 - 01:07
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.11-1.armv7hl.rpm274.7 KB23/02/2020 - 14:54
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.11-1.i486.rpm296.09 KB23/02/2020 - 14:54
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.12-1.armv7hl.rpm684.44 KB25/02/2020 - 01:39
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.12-1.i486.rpm705.2 KB25/02/2020 - 01:39

0.6.12-1 BETA RELEASE

• Uses custom version of youtube-dl
  • Update functionality temporarily disabled

Full change log can be found in GitHub.

Comments

akikk88's picture

Ok, thanks

akikk88's picture

1080p playback support?

direc85's picture

This has been on my mind, too. I'll see what I can do, once the current situation gets a bit more stable.

direc85's picture

I have a method for updating youtube-dl automatically, and it is high on my todo list. The quota issue comes first, though...

mugshot's picture

Nice! Thanks for the effort on maintaining the app, much appreciated! :)

mugshot's picture

Same issue. After updating, the app doesn't work. I'm back to using the Store version with manually updated youtube-dl, seems to work so far.

Could you check Vodman, and maybe implement an internal yt-dl update as the app itself works quite nicely? It's just the yt-dl that's the bottle neck here.

Bocephus's picture

Nothing works even with the latest update; log shows constant API quota errors. All pages are blank, including favorites and history. I'm not going to bother with this since Youtube works just fine in the stock browser.

direc85's picture

Sorry for the delays, I've been occupied by other things... Again, thanks for the feedback! I'll update youtube-dl and push the update soon!

direc85's picture

A quick note about the size increase: youtube-dl has grown that much since last update.

RodSeq's picture

Thanks for your indication, works again like a charm: Great App !

kuba77's picture

Via terminal:
devel-su

curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/share/harbour-ytplayer/bin/youtube-dl

chmod a+rx /usr/share/harbour-ytplayer/bin/youtube-dl

carmenfdezb's picture

Thanks!! I can watch all videos since I updated youtube-dl

akikk88's picture

How update youtube-dl?

kuba77's picture

It plays at least videos from favorites after download the latest youtube-dl.

carmenfdezb's picture

Is there any issue? It was working fine, but today it doesn't load any videos and categories are empty :/

direc85's picture

Using your own API keys would be great. I'll look into it! Thanks for the tip!

247's picture

Just noticed i can't subscribe to channels with the app, if i click on subscribe just nothing happens

Shervrar's picture

Right now it's not showing anything . Consider adding a way for us to use our own api keys (i think that's possible right ) please :)

MartiMasa's picture

PS: Would be happy if available in Jolla store at some point...it should be the standard YTplayer ;-)

MartiMasa's picture

Great progress, I like the refined app a lot and would be happy to donate! However, I noticed a glitch that it freezes (app completely unusable...even restart/reinstalling doesn't help) when browsing a YT channel :-( Hope you have time to check or eventually be able to fix it!

akikk88's picture

Is this app coming update jolla store? :)

akikk88's picture

But after all very good job!! Works very well with my sailfish x xperia xa2. Thank you! ☺

direc85's picture

Okay... It looks like IPv6/both on mobile broadband (DNA/Finland) breaks it. Using IP (IPv4) results in videos played flawlessly. Dang it!

direc85's picture

@akikk88 I have noticed the same thing. I have found mobile broadband being less successful than WLAN (even though I can play the same video on browser via either) on starting playback, so if possible, try it over WLAN. I'll try to figure out how to collect some useful debug information about this...

akikk88's picture

Some times shows videos, but not always..

PawelSpoon's picture

Thanks !

carmenfdezb's picture

New icon is really nice ;)

247's picture

Can't find any video too, had a look on terminal output and it says i have exceeded my quota, maybe this is useful

direc85's picture

That is correct; there seems to be a quota on the Google aggount I created. I will look into it soon (tomorrow).

247's picture

Seems i have reached my quota limit for almost everything the app can do :p but anyway don't feel in a hurry :)