Battery Buddy

Fully discharging a battery and charging it back to full charge again wears it out sooner than you might expect. Battery Buddy can help you increase the battery lifetime by automatically pausing and resuming charging. You can set alerts for low and full enough charge levels, too.

Important: Battery Buddy 3.6-1 and later releases require SailfishOS 3.3. The legacy version that supports SailfishOS 2.2.0.29 and later can be downloaded manually from GitHub releases page.

The application comes with a service component that takes care of charger control and alerts. This means that the application doesn't have to be opened for alerts and limits to work - which is against Jolla Store policy, and hence worth mentioning here. You can control the service from the application (start/stop and enable/disable on boot).

There is now a logging option, which can be accessed via the Settings page pulley menu, with three logging options. You can copy the log contents, too, so submitting the service log for debugging purposes is now a lot more convenient! Using --verbose and --debug flags still work as before.

Please note that the charger control mechanism may not work for every device out there. So far it has been successfully tested with the following devices:

• F(x)tec Pro¹
  • Jolla Phone
  • Sony Xperia 10
  • Sony Xperia X
  • Sony Xperia X Compact
  • Sony Xperia XA2
  • Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra
  • Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet

Please let me know if it works for your device, or if it doesn't work!

Bug reports and translations are most welcome!

If you like my work and would like to support me, you can now buy me a coffee.

Source code can be found in GitHub.

File harbour-batterybuddy-3.8-1.aarch64.rpm119.59 KB31/01/2021 - 22:53
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.11-1.i486.rpm118.87 KB27/04/2021 - 21:49
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.12-3.aarch64.rpm118.18 KB01/05/2021 - 00:06
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.12-3.armv7hl.rpm113.77 KB01/05/2021 - 00:06
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.12-3.i486.rpm121.86 KB01/05/2021 - 00:06

3.12-3

• Fix missing translations
  • Add Hungarian translation (thanks, 1Zgp)
  • Update Chinese translation (thanks, dashinfantry)
  • Remove some debug output

3.11-1

• Don't trigger config save when loading Settings page

3.10-1

• Fix and improve logged messages
  • Remove more unused code
  • Handle emulator more like an actual device
  • Update Polish translation (thanks, atlochowski)
  • Use smaller Ko-Fi icon

3.9-2

• Fix enabling/disabling background service (again)
  • Add log viewer (and a copy button)
  • Add buttons to help fine-tuning slider values
  • Add support for My Backup
  • Implement custom logger
  • Simplify notification sound handling
  • Explicitly stop and start the service during install/upgrade
  • Use sh instead of bash
  • Improve code quality and efficiency
  • Remove and simplift a lot of code
  • Update Swedish translation (thanks, eson57) (3.9-2)

3.8-1

• Improve SFOS 3.4 support (don't hardcode user nemo)
  • Enable charger control by default (for new users)

Full changelog in GitHub.

Comments

nephros's picture

Possible, but the values usually are right next to the charge states in e.g. sysfs. So it should be really similar in handling.

nephros's picture

Wonderful app, I use it constantly. Thanks for making it!
I have a feature request/wish: monitor and warn about battery temperature similar to full and empty notifications.

direc85's picture

Thank you for your kind words!

Battery temperature is a great idea, although I think it has to be implemented per-model. I'll see what I can do!

direc85's picture

There was a typo in the translation files, which caused version 3.12-2 to be released without any translations at all. This is fixed in 3.12-3, and I pulled the broken version. Sorry for any inconvenience.

vansid's picture

Is Sailfish 4.0.1 Koli supported in the current release?

direc85's picture

Yes, it is tested and supported! Even multi user devices are supported - every user gets their own charging settings :)

nthn's picture

Hello, please consider applying for translation hosting at https://hosted.weblate.org/, this will make it easier for people to translate your application.

direc85's picture

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually used Weblate when I participated in an another project a few days ago, and it sure looks nice!

moses_s's picture

The app still doesn't work properly on Sony Xperia 10 Plus (mine is the dual-sim model i4213) there is a bug since the Sailfish 3.4 updade (I am running v3.4.0.24 Pallas-Yllastunturi). The app does not stop the charging of the phone once "Pause charging limit" setting is met. Thanks.

direc85's picture

This should be fixed in 3.8-1. Is it fixed for you now?

moses_s's picture

Yes. Charging control works fine now in version 3.8-1, just like it used to in the old days :)

Thanks a lot Matti. Is there a way to support your efforts via contributions/donations?

Moses.

huggymann's picture

Yes, check the app description and lood for

buy me a coffee
huggymann's picture

Hello, i am using xperia x compact phone. the notifications are working fine but the automatic charging control does not. I restarted the service multiple time and restarted my phone as well. It always charges up to 100% . Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

i have sailfish 3.4.0.24

Regards

direc85's picture

This should be now fixed in version 3.8-1. Does it work for you?

huggymann's picture

hello direc, strange thing, it is not working yet. I supposed to but after trying out today, its not working. I just reinstalled sailfish and installed battery buddy, but its not working :(

what i can see is that when i hit on "start background service" in the options to disable it. It will never finish. the circle starts blinking forever. Does that help you? Can i do anyting to help you debugging?

direc85's picture

Actually  let's take this to GitHub Issues instead. I'll open a ticket for you.

direc85's picture

I guess the background service doesn't start or doesn't function properly... Can you post output of the following commands?

systemctl --user status harbour-batterybuddy.service

systemctl --user stop harbour-batterybuddy.service

harbour-batterybuddy-daemon --debug

(Now try to change a few settings in the application  and exit the service with Ctrl-C.)

I think I'll improve the debugging abilities to make it easier to report new devicea and hunt down bugs.

huggymann's picture

Thank you so much!

Maximilian1st's picture

I just bought an Xperia 10 and the app does not start at boot and automatic charging control does not work.

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting. I found the bug and fixed it in 3.8-1. Does it work for you now?

Maximilian1st's picture

Hi and thank you for this utility. I use a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact and the app sends warnings when needed. It disregards the silent ambience which is a problem at night but unfortunately the automatic charging control does not work. ;-p you could add this phone to the working list.

direc85's picture

This should have been fixed in 3.7-1 already. Could you please test it?

Historyscholar's picture

Can you update Chinese translation?I have update it.

direc85's picture

I just merged a small update yesterday, did you mean that?

I added one new string ("Current:" as in electric current) so there's not that much to update this time :)

moses_s's picture

Bug: I second the last commentor and confirm that on the Sony Xperia 10 Plus (mine is the dual-sim model i4213) there is a bug since the Sailfish 3.4 updade (I am running v3.4.0.24 Pallas-Yllastunturi). The app does not stop the charging of the phone once "Pause charging limit" setting is met. By the way, thanks a lot for a great, great app, direc85!

direc85's picture

Thanks, this should be now fixed in 3.8-1.

zipotron's picture

Hello! I just want to report a regression bug, since the last two updates, when the charge reach the 'stop charging limit', is true that charge don't rice more but seams that charging doesn't stop, and before was stopping and discharging until the low limit. I hope the report is useful for improve this amazing app.

direc85's picture

Sorry for the delay, but it should be fixed in 3.8-1. Can you test it?

PawelSpoon's picture

Works now well on xperia 10 !

direc85's picture

Great! Thanks for the update!