YTPlayer

Beta version! In this version - and every future version - you must enter your own YouTube V3 API Key, Client ID and Client Secret in order to use the application. It is a thing and a half to do, but you can follow this guide to obtain your own keys. This may have implications to your Google account, so do this at your own risk.

There is also an experimental, untested aarch64 version available.

YTPlayer is an unofficial YouTube client for SailfishOS. With it you can - you guessed it - watch YouTube videos! You can log in, like and dislike videos, subscribe and unsubscribe to channels among other things.

I forked and bundled a minimal version of youtube-dl to increase speed and increase YTPlayer user experience. YouTube now works on your old trusty Jolla Phone without any issues! At this time the update functionality is disabled; this version is bundled with youtube-dl-lite 2020.05.08.

Current versions are for SailfishOS 3.3.0 Rokua and newer. For older SailfishOS versions (tested with 2.2.1 Nurmonjoki) please download the legacy release below.

harbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.armv7hl.rpm

arbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.i486.rpm

Known limitations:

• Only 360p and 720p videos are supported
  • Some vides are available only at 360p
  • Fetching newest videos from all subscribed channels doesn't work
  • Recommened videos may not show relevant results

This version is a fork of YTPlayer by osetr, which is a fork of YTPlayer by tworaz.

Source code is available at GitHub. Pull requests and translations are welcome! Especially tweaks regarding YouTube API v3 and coping with its limitations are highly appreciated!

If you like this app and would like to support me maintaining it, you can buy my a cup of coffee!

File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.9-1.armv7hl.rpm273.92 KB15/09/2019 - 14:19
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.armv7hl.rpm699.91 KB11/06/2020 - 09:23
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.16-1.i486.rpm732.38 KB11/06/2020 - 09:23
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.17-1.aarch64.rpm1.29 MB31/01/2021 - 04:07
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.17-1.armv7hl.rpm1.28 MB31/01/2021 - 04:07
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.17-1.i486.rpm1.31 MB31/01/2021 - 04:07

0.6.17-1

• Use youtube-dl instead of youtube-dl-lite for now
  • Update youtube-dl to 2021.01.24.1
  • Remove preinstalled API keys
  • Enable (require) user supplied API keys
  • Release experimental aarch64 version

Full change log can be found in GitHub.

Comments

elkiaer's picture

"Unable to extract video data" . What does that mean. The app has been working up till some weeks ago.

campeon's picture

With the right APIs it does open your user. There is great guide for getting your own APIs in MyTube w10 app. But it does not play videos..
Ohhhh

inte's picture

Doesn't appear to work for me any longer. Cannot find streams?

Polecat2003's picture

Google account don't work. Error 401, invalid client.

Termitebug's picture

'Help me choose' in the Google developer API page is your friend. Use CLI API key and Desktop OAuth client keys. Those keys work for my YTP.

Polecat2003's picture

Where can I choose CLI API?

dumol's picture

Release early, release often? I miss this one. Thanks!Later edit: Working now with the new (very awkward) Google authorisation system. Thank you! ;-]

kuba77's picture

Did you try to use Invidious API to search and play videos from Youtube? I think this is how work desktop app FreeTube.

Polecat2003's picture

Any news?

Klaas's picture

The same with Mr.Magisters app and with NewPipe. I was allowed to use it for a while and suddenly it stopped. Its Google's fault. Google is a private company, not public.

direc85's picture

Yeah, Google is making it more and more difficult to view YouTube videos outside the Android app, web page and other officially supported methods.

TBH, I would not be suprised at all if Google removed or closed the APIv3 altogether... We native Sailfish users - not to mention us developers - are in a pinch. Luckily the updated Browser is capable of displaying the videos "just fine". I guess it's fair to admit my motivation to keep fighting for a functional YTPlayer is not that high anymore, but I'm still not giving up!

akikk88's picture

Any news?

direc85's picture

I have the first functional prototype of Sailfish Secrets implemented in YTPlayer to keep the keys and IDs safe. I consider this a huge stepstone! It still needs a lot of thought and rewriting parts of the original YTPlayer code, but I'd say I'm more than halfway there.

direc85's picture

My youtube-dl-lite repository was taken down by RIAA using DMCA, but luckily I had a backup of it. Took some time to dig it up, though...

I'm trying to get the update done soon, but no ETA... Things pour in left and right at the moment!

dumol's picture

Thanks! Missing your app, to be honest...

direc85's picture

Hello everybody! Sorry for the absence, let's just say life got in my way...

I'll start looking into providing your own API keys, and for some reason, it really looks like that the original API key (which was so old that it had a ridiculous quota) just doesn't work anymore - or the usage is so high, that it gets used up very quickly. I have no way to tell.

Edit 1: This doesn't look good. I tried my previous credentials, and it has a daily quota of 0 queries - can't use those even for testing. Then I created a new project, created the keys, and it also has a daily quota of 0 queries, rendering the whole APIv3+OAuth2 approach useless! I don't know what's going on, but it really, REALLY looks like Google is blocking users from YouTube using this approach. If anyone has any details about this, please help me out.

Edit 2: Okay, I created again a new project, and now I have the default quota of 10000 units per day. Go figure... So, it looks like the approach could still work, so it's all in the implementation now.

akikk88's picture

Coming any update to fix app?

richarpad's picture

Hi Guys - am a new sfos user.

I can confirm ytplayer not usable.

Running it in CLI indeed does confirm API key limit exceeded.

I tried compiling using SDK, but could not get it to compile (hoping i could put in my own API key etc)

Keenly awaiting an update to this project. :)

TMavica's picture

Not working anymore, no subscription, catalog found, search function no working too

dumol's picture

Hey, thanks for this, donated... Looking forward to support for own API keys at runtime!

direc85's picture

Thanks! I think I have some time for it in a week or two..!

lxmx's picture

I was getting random search failures with no results. Checked the logs and saw 403: quotaExceeded errors. Wonder if you've encountered these.

direc85's picture

Once you hit the quota, the only way out is to wait until until the daily limit resets. This also witnesses the popularity of the app, yay!

I will implement a way to let the user know without log digging that the quota has been met.

I will also implement a method to use different API credentials instead of the internal ones. That relieves the pressure of the default account quota by letting people use their own quota instead. But that's not going to happen this week at least.

lxmx's picture

Another option could be rotating through API keys. I mean, lowering the API limit from 1 mln hits to 10k hits on the YouTube site is really prohibitive. And asking each user to register as a developer isn't great UX and a privacy concern.

direc85's picture

Rotating API keys is not allowed by terms of usage. Also you have to login again when the key changes. What's more, 1M quota points divided to 10k hits per user results in 100 users, and I think YTPlayer has more daily users than that. So, I think a "hard" limit of 10k/user is very acceptable - even more so because it would be voluntary.

TMavica's picture

Now click every page, it show a blank page except watch recently page

TMavica's picture

Yes. It loaded, but clicked recommendation, it came out with lastest video

TMavica's picture

Now recommendation shows 'latest video'

direc85's picture

Does the content load? Because I did the change to fix the empty view in my device... If there's content, ther must be something wrong with my device...

Edit: Something's funny in my XA2 I did this testing with. I'll revert the change.

kevencopeland's picture