YTPlayer

YTPlayer is an unofficial YouTube client for SailfishOS. With it you can - you guessed it - watch YouTube videos! You can log in, like and dislike videos, subscribe and unsubscribe to channels among other things.

I forked and bundled a minimal version of youtube-dl to increase speed and increase YTPlayer user experience. YouTube now works on your old trusty Jolla Phone without any issues! At this time the update functionality is disabled; this version is bundled with youtube-dl 2020.03.08.

Known limitations:

• Only 360p and 720p videos are supported
  • Fetching newest videos from all subscribed channels doesn't work
  • Recommened videos may not show relevant results

This version is a fork of YTPlayer by osetr, which is a fork of YTPlayer by tworaz.

Source code is available at GitHub. Pull requests and translations are welcome! Especially tweaks regarding YouTube API v3 and coping with its limitations are highly appreciated!

If you like this app and would like to support me maintaining it, you can buy my a cup of coffee!

File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.9-1.armv7hl.rpm273.92 KB15/09/2019 - 14:19
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.14-1.armv7hl.rpm697.16 KB01/06/2020 - 00:22
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.14-1.i486.rpm729.48 KB01/06/2020 - 00:22

0.6.14-1

• Remove "Latest" menu item from subscriptions
  • "Fix" "Recommened" videos in main menu
  • Update about page

Full change log can be found in GitHub.

Comments

TMavica's picture

Now recommendation shows 'latest video'

kevencopeland's picture

Recommendations do not load

Bsingleto's picture

Yeah, your right. The recommendations do not load. I prefer the Utube player because it plays my youtube subscriptions from recently uploaded.

I think this app/program does a real disservice when you click SUBSCRIPTIONS, it loads all of your subbed to channels. But when you do a 'pull down' under your subscriptions to 'Latest' , it has the nerve to show you trending videos instead of the LATEST of Your Own Subscriptions Feed.!. i dont want to watch youtube trending. i want to watch what i am subscribed too.

Lastest/trending is so useless. I want to watch what im subscribed to which is a carefully currated list of over one thousand subbed channels.

Please update My Subscriptions to Latest of Only My Subscriptions. Please,....

direc85's picture

Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct; fetching latest subscribed videos feature is embarrassingly broken, but this is because of changes in YouTube API. This is to make third party apps (like YTPlayer) less usable. It's in Googles intrest to have users only use the official app, since it shows ads - YTPlayer does not.

AFAIK there is no simple method to just fetch the latest videos from your subscribed channels. There is little I can do to fix it (without exeeding quota by performing massive amounts of searches, so at this point I consider it unfixable). I think I'll disable the menu entry in the next release to lessen confusion - but as always, suggestions, workarounds and PRs for fixing the issue are welcome.

daniloplay's picture

eu não consigo instalar nada no meu nokia n9

direc85's picture

Esta aplicação móvel é para Sailfish. N9 é coisa diferente. (Google Translate, yay!)

TMavica's picture

It still very slow to find the source and buffering

direc85's picture

Thanks for feedback!

Finding the source is slow because of both the script startup and YouTube, so there's nothing more I can really do. Buffering (and media streaming) are done using Qt assets, and that is only slow because of YouTube.

How about seeking within the video once the playback starts? That should work the same way at least - to me, seeking is very fast (and was before this version, too).

direc85's picture

I just released a beta version which comes bundled with a minimal version of youtube-dl, which executes a lot faster. If you ever wondered why testing the local version of youtube-dl was taking so long - this fixes exactly that. Just running `youtube-dl --version` took 12 seconds on my original Jolla Phone - now it takes about 1.1 seconds.

If you are curious and like testing new stuff, please install this update and let me know what you think. Thanks!

JacekJagosz's picture

Subscribed videos to me show just random recommended ones. Could you try to fix it? It has been reported on the original project https://github.com/tworaz/sailfish-ytplayer/issues/52

direc85's picture

You mean the topmost "Subscriptions" item? To me it displays the channels I've subscribed to.

Listing new videos from all the subscribed channels like this isn't possible anymore using YouTube APIv3. That's a feature I would like to have in the app, but it's a serious pain to implement, now that I actually think about it. Plus it would take ages to refresh the page and drain the API key quota fast, so at this point I'm not even going to look at it. Sorry, looks like it's a wontfix until the API changes...

rossholmes's picture

Thank you for the effort, this is a great and very functional app! Cheers

tabasko's picture

Great work man!

akikk88's picture

Thanks now works very well :)

Pohli's picture

Thanks for maintaining this app! I've found one issue: in Download Settings my choices of the Preferred video quality option are: 360p, 360p,1080p. I have a Jolla Phone with SFOS 3.0.1.11 and YTPlayer 0.6.8.

direc85's picture

Thanks for noticing that. That was a leftover from my failed attempt to implement 1080p support. As YouTube provides 1080p (and up) quality videos as separate audio and video streams now, I have no idea how to accomplish that using Sailfish/Qt/QML.

Version 0.6.9 published accordingly.

Pohli's picture

Thanks for quick fix! About page still says 0.6.8-1. ;-)

direc85's picture

Dang it! :D

Edit: That should have updated actually... Gotta look into it.

direc85's picture

As of writing this, the current youtube-dl version is 2019.09.12.1 which caused my version check sanity checks to fail. I updated the rules and released version 0.6.8 accordingly.

akikk88's picture

Can't play videos any more.. Because there is problem with youtube-dl.

akikk88's picture

Can`t update youtube-dl any more. If i try check update it fail every time. Where is the problem?

direc85's picture

That's right; tge update check fails. I'll fix it soon. Thanks for reporting!

predator2019's picture

Feature request: Beautful app. It would be helpful to install youtube-dl as an dependency when installing ytplayer similar to other linux distributions. Or a message at start that youtube-dl is needed to play youtube videos in ytplayer when youtube-dl is missing. For downloading videos is clear, but to play videos it's not obvious.

direc85's picture

Thanks for feedback. YTPlayer downloads youtube-dl automatically if its not present at startup, but its not updated automatically updated after that. You likely gave too old version of youtube-dl installed, please update it using the Settings menu.

Edit: There was a bug in youtube-dl update mechanism, please update YTPlayer first and then youtube-dl.

akikk88's picture

Lataa videota aika kauan aina aluksi ku laittaa videon pyörimään, pystyiskö sille tehdä mitään? Itse videot pyörii kyllä hienosti itsellä.

bionade24's picture

I get Buffer all the time, even though I have latest yt-dl and good network connection. Earlier, everything worked better. Has anyoone a solution for this problem?

lqramen's picture

Thank you. Works great.

Klaas's picture

Yesterday I downloaded this package. Got that new icon, but could not activate it.  Today the problems are solved like magic.  When I tried to open the icon everything worked well. Thank you for the good work!

Klaas's picture

After downloading and 'installing' of the second version (1.i486) nothing happened. I then downloaded the YTplayer from Jolla store and downloaded the first version  (armv7.hl) and the icon of YTplayer changed into the new icon as above on this page. When tapping on the icon it does not open, the wheel keeps turning for a while and then it disappears from my screen.

Klaas's picture

Hello Direc85, I downloaded the app on my Xperia XA2 (latest update), but installation did not work. The download appears in 'transfers' and when I tap on it nothing happens.