Battery Buddy

Fully discharging a battery and charging it back to full charge again wears it out sooner than you might expect. Battery Buddy can help you increase the battery lifetime by automatically pausing and resuming charging. You can set alerts for low and full enough charge levels, too.

Important: Battery Buddy 3.6-1 and later releases require SailfishOS 3.3. Legacy builds for SailfishOS 2.2.0.29 and later can be downloaded manually from GitHub releases page.

New! Experimental aarch64 build is now available! Test with care...

The application comes with a service component that takes care of charger control and alerts. This means that the application doesn't have to be opened for alerts and limits to work - which is against Jolla Store policy, and hence worth mentioning here. You can control the service from the application (start/stop and enable/disable on boot).

You can better see what's going on by running the application or daemon with --verbose or --debug options. Help is available with --help option.

Please note that the charger control mechanism may not work for every device out there. So far it has been successfully tested with the following devices:

• F(x)tec Pro¹
  • Jolla Phone
  • Sony Xperia 10
  • Sony Xperia X
  • Sony Xperia X Compact
  • Sony Xperia XA2
  • Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra
  • Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet

Please let me know if it works for your device, or if it doesn't work!

Bug reports and translations are most welcome!

If you like my work and would like to support me, you can now buy me a coffee.

Source code can be found in GitHub.

File harbour-batterybuddy-3.5-2.armv7hl.rpm108.94 KB19/10/2020 - 09:32
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.5-2.i486.rpm115.23 KB19/10/2020 - 09:32
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.6-2.armv7hl.rpm109.56 KB16/11/2020 - 00:46
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.6-2.i486.rpm115.79 KB16/11/2020 - 00:46
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.6-3.aarch64.rpm116.3 KB17/11/2020 - 18:17
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.6-3.armv7hl.rpm114.71 KB17/11/2020 - 18:17
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.6-3.i486.rpm120.87 KB17/11/2020 - 18:17
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.7-1.aarch64.rpm119.58 KB30/12/2020 - 02:25
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.7-1.armv7hl.rpm116.85 KB30/12/2020 - 02:25
File harbour-batterybuddy-3.7-1.i486.rpm123.95 KB30/12/2020 - 02:25

3.7-1

• Respect ringtone volume and silent mode
  • Fix services' startup and install/uninstall
  • Use Nemo Notification for notifications
  • Use QMediaPlayer for notification sounds
  • Drop lipstick-qt5-tools dependency
  • Implement alerting once/interval/never
  • Remove redundant options accordingly
  • Improve alert logic (again)
  • Update Finnish translation
  • Support SFOS 3.4 (defaultuser)

3.6-3

• Experimental aarch64 build available against SailfishOS 3.4.0.24
  • Add Polish translation (thanks, atlochowski)
  • Updated Chinese translation (thanks, dashinfantry)
  • Updated Finnish translation

3.6-2

• Add German translation (thanks, dryo)

3.6-1

• Compiled for SailfishOS >= 3.3
  • Show charging/discharging current
  • Speed up service control buttons

Full changelog in GitHub.

Comments

direc85's picture

TBH I'm working on it. Thank you for asking :)

PawelSpoon's picture

Great with Situations ! Starts on cable plugin

enrish's picture

Genius! I hoped for this new feature for long, as i often missed notifications when in another room. Thanks a lot. I also had problems after the very last update, and uninstalling-reinstalling did it.

mz_i_norge's picture

Why is it not possible to charge the battery up to 100% with automatic charging control? That stops at 95%.

direc85's picture

Thanks for feedback! That's just an arbitrary maximum value I chose. I have to revisit the sliders, too, because it's quite hard to get the value exactly right on Jolla Phone with its small display. I'll fix both of these in a future release.

t0t3u's picture

Fixed by reinstalling it.

t0t3u's picture

Oups!
Don't know if it's related but it failes to start after last update:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ harbour-batterybuddy
[I] unknown:0 - Starting Battery Buddy...
[I] unknown:0 - Loaded lowAlert 30
/power_supply/battery/status"
[I] unknown:0 - Reading charger status from "/sys/cla
ss/power_supply/usb/present"
Segmentation fault
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting. I'll have a look at the issue. Good to know that reinstalling helped, too...

t0t3u's picture

Great work!
I confirm that the automated part works on X10.

fllp's picture

Version 2.0 is a wonderful update. Thank you!
Automatic change limit works on Xperia X. Like a charm.

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting, adding that one, too!

PawelSpoon's picture

Automatic turn off did work too

direc85's picture

Good to hear!

If manual part works, the automated part works too - as long as the logic behind works. So far so good :)

PawelSpoon's picture

At least manual part does work on X10 . Great !!

nephros's picture

Confirmed. This is great (and came out just as I was in the process of trying to get X10 support into battery notifier).

direc85's picture

Great! I'll add it to the list in the next update!