Battery Buddy

Fully discharging a battery and charging it back to full charge again wears it out sooner than you might expect. Battery Buddy can help you increase the battery lifetime by automatically pausing and resuming charging. You can set alerts for low and full enough charge levels, too.

Note: Update to 3.15 resets all intervals to 24h, so please check the settings!

New! Version 4.1.0 brings initial support for Jolla Tablet, but it has not yet been tested on a real device.

Important: Sailjail support is enabled in Battery Buddy 4.0.0-1, which means it requires at least Sailfish OS 4.3 to work properly. For Sailfish OS 3.3 and up you should be able to use Battery Buddy 3.17-1. For older versions Battery Buddy 3.15-1 should work fine. For Sailfish OS 2.2 you have to download the legacy build.

The application comes with a service component that takes care of charger control and alerts. This means that the application doesn't have to be opened for alerts and limits to work - which is against Jolla Store policy, and hence worth mentioning here. You can control the service from the application (start/stop and enable/disable on boot).

There is now a logging option, which can be accessed via the Settings page pulley menu, with three logging options. You can copy the log contents, too, so submitting the service log for debugging purposes is now a lot more convenient! Using --verbose and --debug flags still work as before.

Please note that the charger control mechanism may not work for every device out there. So far it has been successfully tested with the following devices:

• F(x)tec Pro¹
  • Fairphone 2
  • Jolla Phone
  • Sony Xperia 10 / 10 II / 10 III
  • Sony Xperia X / X Compact
  • Sony Xperia XA2 / XA2 Plus / XA2 Ultra
  • Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet

Please let me know if it works for your device, or if it doesn't work!

Bug reports and translations are most welcome!

If you like my work and would like to support me, you can now buy me a coffee.

Source code can be found in GitHub.

File harbour-batterybuddy-3.16.2-1.aarch64.rpm128.95 KB24/11/2021 - 23:09
File harbour-batterybuddy-4.1.1-1.armv7hl.rpm172.31 KB28/08/2022 - 10:45
File harbour-batterybuddy-4.1.1-1.i486.rpm182.25 KB28/08/2022 - 10:45

4.1.1-1

• Fixup! Use correct colors in battery graphic
  • Fixup! Enable low battery animation
  • Move all subpages to MainPage pull down menu
  • Update Swedish translation (thanks, eson57)
  • Update Polish translation (thanks, wetab73)
  • Update copyrights

4.1.0-1

• Initial Jolla Tablet support (beta)
  • Redesign the logo and battery graphic
  • Search for control files using loops
  • Don't try to use non-existent files
  • Remove unused signals from service
  • Update Swedish translation (thanks, eson57)
  • Use ColumnView to show the log contents with formatting (thanks, nephros!)
  • Log charging/discharging current
  • Log temperature changes with resolution of one degree Celsius
  • Assume the charge current value always changes
  • Print correct log file name
  • Invert the charge current sign if necessary
  • Print changelog at the end of the build script
  • Use custom ImageButton in About page
  • Remove unused files
  • Rename internal logging functions for clarity
  • Built with Sailfish OS SDK 3.9 for 4.4.0.68

4.0.0-1

• Enable sandboxing with appropriate permissions (GUI only)
  • Use QML DBusInterface for user service manipulation
  • Drop support for SFOS 4.2 and older
  • Clean up systemd service handling during install/update/uninstall
  • Built with Sailfish OS SDK 3.8 for 4.3.0.12

3.17.0-1

• Disable sandboxing
  • Fix install/upgrade/uninstall scriptlets
  • Service binary consumes less resources
  • Don't try to close notifications if they are not open

3.16.2-1

• Fix .spec bin file path (thanks, leon and nephros)
  • Built with Sailfish OS SDK 3.7 for 4.3.0.12

Full changelog in GitHub.

Comments

t0t3u's picture

Oups!
Don't know if it's related but it failes to start after last update:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ harbour-batterybuddy
[I] unknown:0 - Starting Battery Buddy...
[I] unknown:0 - Loaded lowAlert 30
/power_supply/battery/status"
[I] unknown:0 - Reading charger status from "/sys/cla
ss/power_supply/usb/present"
Segmentation fault
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting. I'll have a look at the issue. Good to know that reinstalling helped, too...

t0t3u's picture

Great work!
I confirm that the automated part works on X10.

fllp's picture

Version 2.0 is a wonderful update. Thank you!
Automatic change limit works on Xperia X. Like a charm.

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting, adding that one, too!

PawelSpoon's picture

Automatic turn off did work too

direc85's picture

Good to hear!

If manual part works, the automated part works too - as long as the logic behind works. So far so good :)

PawelSpoon's picture

At least manual part does work on X10 . Great !!

nephros's picture

Confirmed. This is great (and came out just as I was in the process of trying to get X10 support into battery notifier).

direc85's picture

Great! I'll add it to the list in the next update!