YTPlayer

YTPlayer is an unofficial YouTube client for SailfishOS. With it you can - you guessed it - watch YouTube videos! You can log in, like and dislike videos, subscribe and unsubscribe to channels among other things.

I forked and bundled a minimal version of youtube-dl to increase speed and increaseYTPlayer user experience. I am now able to use YouTube with my old trusty Jolla Phone without any issues! At this time the update functionality is disabled; this version is bundled with youtube-dl 2020.03.08.

Known limitation: Only supported video resolutions are 360p and 480p

This version is a fork of YTPlayer by osetr, which is a fork of YTPlayer by tworaz.

Source code is available at GitHub. Pull requests and translations are welcome!

File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.9-1.armv7hl.rpm273.92 KB15/09/2019 - 14:19
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.9-1.i486.rpm295.42 KB15/09/2019 - 14:19
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.10-1.armv7hl.rpm274.41 KB25/09/2019 - 01:07
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.10-1.i486.rpm295.72 KB25/09/2019 - 01:07
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.11-1.armv7hl.rpm274.7 KB23/02/2020 - 14:54
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.11-1.i486.rpm296.09 KB23/02/2020 - 14:54
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.12-1.armv7hl.rpm684.44 KB25/02/2020 - 01:39
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.12-1.i486.rpm705.2 KB25/02/2020 - 01:39
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.13-1.armv7hl.rpm683.85 KB22/03/2020 - 00:01
File harbour-ytplayer-0.6.13-1.i486.rpm704.84 KB22/03/2020 - 00:01

0.6.13-1

• Update youtube-dl-lite to 2020.03.08

Full change log can be found in GitHub.

Comments

direc85's picture

When the video is already playing, and I minimize the app, the video pauses. Then if I click the play cover action, the video resumes and the app stays minimized. If the play cover action is clicked while the application is on the video details page however, the application is activated and video starts to play. This is intentional, and the cover action works for me.

wrwpoel's picture

When I try to install the application I get a "Nothing provides pyotherside-qml-plugin-python3-qt5 needed by harbour ytplayer-0.6.7-1.armv7hl" error.

direc85's picture

The old cure would be running `pkcon refresh` and try again...

What Sailfish version you are running? What device?

wrwpoel's picture

Thanks, that indeed solved the problem.

TMavica's picture

Also can add a refresh pull down option in lastest video large?

TMavica's picture

Is too dark to see

TMavica's picture

Using light ambience, the playing progress bar, i cant see the time and the bar

direc85's picture

That's true. I have no idea how I missed that. Thanks!

t0t3u's picture

Can you also include Subscribe option (like uTube has) whitout the need of an YouTube account?

Thank you!

akikk88's picture

Sounds good! :)

direc85's picture

Sailfish SDK 2.1 has been released and the Jolla Store release of YTPlayer is getting closer! Please report all issues as soon as possible! Thanks!

wesbluemarine's picture

I 've created a Pull Request for adding an audio only streaming, do you think is possible?

Thanks

direc85's picture

Actually I tried to implement 1080p support, which doesn't seem to be possible at the moment but I can still try a few things, and I stumbled upon audio only streams. It doesn't look complicated at all, so audio only might be way easier than I thought :) I'll check your PR if I can isolate your changes.

direc85's picture

I can have a look at it, but please make the pull request to my repo instead, now it's on tworaz's repo. It gets really difficult to figure out the changes this way...

wesbluemarine's picture

Great app!
With black text ambiences the play/pause button is not visible in the tasks grid.

direc85's picture

Thanks for reporting this!

I had totally forgotten dark ambiences exist, so I have to go through all my apps (:

247's picture

Seems is not working for me as the circle is spinning forever, already deleted and re-installed but it hasn't helped me...

247's picture

Ok it's working now

direc85's picture

I had this issue a few times, too, but I couldn't pinpoint the reason why it did it. How did you get working?

Skillmon's picture

Thank you very much. I have just one request, can you please change the icon back to purple? There is a logic behind the colors and multimedia is purple.

Shervrar's picture

Is this because the SFOS media app is purple, or is there something else that says so? For what it's worth, I like the red. It makes sense as YT is red.

Skillmon's picture

That's a convention from the Harmattan days which was followed at least in the early days of SFOS. If you take a look at the multimedia apps in the store or on OpenRepos many of them are in fact purple, e.g. Unplayer, YTPlayer (except this fork), Daedalus, many of the podcast/radio apps. Following such conventions adds to quick operation of the phone and gives the whole OS a more uniform and coherent look.

direc85's picture

Actually the icon was only partially in SVG format, so I'm considering the old logo for the Store release.

direc85's picture

Thanks for commenting.

This indeed seems to be a trend. If it doesn't turn out hideous - it shouldn't - I'll update the icon color in the next release, which should land in Jolla Store, too.

Skillmon's picture

Thank you very much for your answer (and all the work you're putting into this!). Sorry that it took me this long to finally notice your comments. Again, thank you very much!

carmenfdezb's picture

Thanks for the update, it works perfect now

Shervrar's picture

Going on 'subscriptions' lists the channels I am subscribed to, but selecting 'latest videos' shows some random videos from channels I definitely didn't subscribe to. Any Idea how I can see my subscription feed?

direc85's picture

I *think* it shows the latest uploads in general, not your subscriptions' latest videos. I'll check the API if it provides anything useful...

Shervrar's picture

Not sure how good this would be, but if the API does not provide a way to see subscription videos anymore there is another way: RSS.

Users can export a opml file from https://www.youtube.com/subscription_manager. I guess you could make users be able to import their opml file to show subscriptions?

That would admittedly raise the complexity of the program though.

Also, would it be possible to make the app open videos it got as an argument? I was considering just using an external RSS app as a workaround and opening youtube links with harbour-ytplayer, but `harbor-ytplayer https://youtube.com/watch?v=1234567` does not cause the video to open in the app.

akikk88's picture

I restart phone and now works :) thanks man