WiFiKilL3r

This app will monitor your WiFi connection. And when it is not connected to a trusted network, it will shutdown your wifi device.

The idea is that when you leave your home, your mobile phone is looking for WiFi networks. Nowadays companies uses WiFi tracking devices in order to see how much people are walking by. If this is done throughout a hole city, you can be 'followed'.

There are more solutions for this like MAC spoofing. But this app will also save some power, because it will shutdown the wifi device.

When you start the app, it is not monitoring your networks. First add a new trusted network. Pull down and select Update trusted networks. If your wifi is running, it shows a list of visible networks. Select your network. Known networks are pre-selected.

Trusted networks are saved with their name and mac address. This should prevent staying online on a spoofed WiFi network.

By then hitting the WiFiKilL3r button, the app will monitor your networks. And when you leave home, it will shutdown your WiFi. When it does, it will send a notification.

The app will be running in the background as of version 0.3! Yesh this means total protection all the time!

File wifikill3r-0.1-1.armv7hl.rpm76.72 KB24/06/2016 - 00:00
File wifikill3r-0.6-2.armv7hl.rpm86.56 KB03/11/2017 - 20:52
File wifikill3r-0.6-2.i486.rpm86.71 KB03/11/2017 - 20:52
File wifikill3r-0.7-1.armv7hl.rpm90.39 KB05/03/2019 - 22:22
File wifikill3r-0.7-1.i486.rpm90.59 KB05/03/2019 - 22:22
File wifikill3r-0.8-3.armv7hl.rpm91.86 KB10/03/2019 - 13:29
File wifikill3r-0.8-3.i486.rpm91.99 KB10/03/2019 - 13:29

- Fixed saving networks with MAC verification disabled.

Comments

Bramba's picture

Also in case of running the daemon, my directory /var/lib/connman gets filled with bloating wifi connections. Does Sailfish scan all wifi access points and stores them in this directory, even if never using them?

Would there be an option to avoid storing wifi access points into this directory in case they are not trusted by WiFiKilL3r?

theyosh's picture

That is done by the OS, and I have not way to determen what is what. So no, this is outside the scope of the software, and will not do anything with it.

It is how the OS works, and I have no knowledge how that part works.

vsimonkay's picture

Cool app. What about a possibility that asks for example after every 1 hour if I still need the hotspot turned on, and in case if no answer, it switches off? My problem is that it often occurs that the hotspot stays turned on and this is a vulnerability.

theyosh's picture

Hmm, I have the opinion that you manually enable the hotspot, which is not an action that is done much. And therefore I have the opinion that this is not something that my software should coffer. So for now, I will not add this. Sorry

Bramba's picture

And one more question: What is the "play"-button on the events screen for? It it just for running the wifi-rescan? Do I need to switch this to "play" or to "stop" in allday usage?

theyosh's picture

The play button will disable the background daemon. I use that if I do need some wifi for a short time, then it pause the daemon, so that I can connect to an 'unsafe' network. When done I press play, and the background daemion is running again and will kill the wifi also.

Bramba's picture

Okay, thanks a lot for your kind explanations! I understand your words like that:

1.) By default the app is always switched on with its daemon, even in case of closing the app
2.) When the app is opened, the "pause"-button in events view does signalize if the daemon is currently running or stopped
3.) Tapping on the "pause" or "play" button in events view will stop the daemon (to enable connections to untrusted networks)
4.) After disabling the daemon like described in 3.), I have to remember to start it again (tap on "play"-button)

Is this correct?

theyosh's picture

Yes! You are correct. The play/pause button shows the action that will be done when you press. So showing a play button, indicates that the deamon is in pause state. And vice versa.

Bramba's picture

Does the app have to be switched on all the time to ensure its function? Or is there some daemon running after starting the app once?

theyosh's picture

Hi,

no, with the app, you configure it. At image: https://openrepos.net/sites/default/files/styles/medium/public/packages/... you see the light before 'WiFiKilL3r enabled' then the background daemon is active. So you can close the app when you have configured your trusted networks, and enable the WiFiKilL3r.

Mick's picture

Working fine here on SailfishX now.
Thanks.

bade866's picture

Works for me now. Thank you!

dirksche's picture

Works now on Xperia X Thank you very much

zwieberl's picture

Did you look at the corresponding github issue? There is something wrong with the regex parsing the Network name. I posted a possible workaround

theyosh's picture

Hmm, totally missed that. So I have changed the code based on yours, and for me it is still working. For you now also?

zwieberl's picture

Seems to work. Have to test it with the Wifi that always disconnected, next week. If it doesn't work I will come back to you! Thanks

Mick's picture

Same happens on Jolla1. It's adding the connection to the "Valid Networks" file OK, but it then seems to ignore the list.

Mick's picture

Damn & poop!
Even with MAC Verification turned off it kills the active connection immediately when the killer switch is enabled on XperiaX. I'm going to try the app on one of my J1s, see if it's ok on that.

bade866's picture

I disabled mac verification but it stilll disconnects. When I check again my network is not preferred although it was set before. Like the prefered network does not persist.

dirksche's picture

Same on my device

arsh0r's picture

Hi, nice idea for an app. Sadly it isn't working for my setup. I have two APs on my wifi broadcasting the same ssid, but with different MACs. This way my wifi devices will alway choose the AP witch the best signal. I can add one of the APs to trusted but not both, the trusted MAC is overwritten when I approach the other AP.

olf's picture

Similar setup here, three APs with the same SSID.
IMHO checking the MAC address or BSSID of an AP should be optional.
Additionally (but not alternatively) a MAC address / BSSID list for each SSID would alleviate the situation, if there are just a few, known APs, but still fail e.g. in a hotel (there one only has the SSID as "trust anchor", thus checking MAC addresses should be made optional, IMO).

theyosh's picture

There is a new version where you can disable MAC verification. That should fix it

olf's picture

Thanks!
Haven't tested it yet, though.

dirksche's picture

Same here. @theyosh Did you try this app with an Xperia X? I have just one wifi, but everytime I enable the killer after adding my wifi to trusted networks your app stops wifi even if I'm connected with it.

theyosh's picture

Hi,

I am running this on Xperia X right now. So that should not be the problem. Could it be that when you go the manage network page, there is no bssid value below your network name?

If that is the case, go to your phone settings, and remove your known network. Then reconnect and ad it to Jolla. This will then fix the missing bssid in my app, and should fix your isse.

I have seen this before, when you have changed the AP so there are more MAC address remembered in the phone.

bade866's picture

I have the bssid but it still disconnects.

bade866's picture

Unfortunately, i still cannot use this app on my xperia x, although I would love to. I set my WiFi network as trusted but if i enable wifikill3r, it would disconnect me in around 10 seconds saying that i have left the WiFi.

bade866's picture

Here it is what might happen here. At home, I have two connections for two parts of the house: "abis" which is in the basement, and "abis2" which is on the upper level. Both of them are set as trusted networks in WiFiKilL3R. I always connect to "abis_2" because the signal is stronger. But what is interesting is that, while connected to "abis_2", WiFiKilL3R says that wifi is enabled on "abis" (the weak signal one). Do you think this might be an issue?

theyosh's picture

Hmm, could it be that when you go to the manage network page, your network name is visible, but there is no bssid value? That means that I cannot read out the mac address of your accesspoint.

I have that when I do switching WiFi hardware. The solution is then to go to the settings of Jolla and remove the known wifi networks. Then reconnect to your wifi and my software should see the correct data and should work.

Your issue about the names is strage. So could it be that you do not see the bssid values? If so, could you try the above?