Talefish

Your rating: None Average: 5 (20 votes)

Talefish is a really simple directory based audio book player.

This means:

• You can open a directory of audio files (or a single file)
  • It remembers where you were the last time
  • It remembers where you were when you've opened another directory since

​Why simple?

• almost everything is QML. opening big directories may take a while. (It's a lot faster if you have mediainfo installed!)
  • there are no file infos available (artist, cover etc). instead, directory and file names are displayed. image files like cover.jpg are displayed.
  • ability to play files should equal system media player audio files. *.mp3, *.m4a, *.m4b, *.flac, *.ogg, *.opus, *.wav, *.aac, *.mka can be opened.

there are and will be bugs. please tell me about them on talk.maemo.org or raise an issue on github ;)

File talefish-0.0-1.armv7hl.rpm286.94 KB02/01/2016 - 03:31
File talefish-0.0-11.i486.rpm132.46 KB08/11/2018 - 04:59
File talefish-0.0-12.armv7hl.rpm137.04 KB18/11/2018 - 23:56
File talefish-0.0-12.i486.rpm141.04 KB18/11/2018 - 23:56
File talefish-0.0-13.armv7hl.rpm137.63 KB25/11/2018 - 23:29
File talefish-0.0-13.i486.rpm141.58 KB25/11/2018 - 23:29

* Sun Nov 25 2018 velox 0.0-13
- bugfix: show correct pause cover action icon if secondary action is hidden
- bugfix: further layout fixes: total progress area + tablet layout
- bugfix: re-enable "progress slider swiping"; previously only click really worked
- bugfix: prevent not updating ("zeroing") progress when opening new files
- enhancement: readability enhancement for title in landscape with light ambiences
- translation updates: zh_CN; ru (thanks all!)

* Sun Nov 18 2018 velox 0.0-12
- enhancement: headset "call accept button" now keeps triggering long press action until released
- bugfix: hide empty total progress area with only one track loaded
- new translations: hu (thanks leoka), nl_BE (thanks pljmn), sl (thanks sponka), zh_CN (thanks rui kon)

* Thu Nov 08 2018 velox 0.0-11
- allow opening of .mka (thanks rrunner64!)
- enhancement: SF3 light ambience button colour fixes + cassette shade
- performance: huge performance increase while opening lots of files (when mediainfo is installed)
- enhancement: minor layout changes
- enhancement: haptic feedback when swiping cover area to change tracks

* Thu Jan 09 2018 velox 0.0-10
- allow opening of .aac (thanks jakibaki!)

* Sun Mar 05 2017 velox 0.0-9
- new translation: Dutch (thanks pljmn!)

* Sun Feb 12 2017 velox 0.0-8
- user request: second app cover button
- user request: .opus file support
- enhancement: cassette indicator now looks nice on hi-res screens
- packaging: reduce size dramatically
- translation updates (thanks, everyone!)

* Sun Jan 22 2017 velox 0.0-7
- new (EXPERIMENTAL/UNTESTED) feature/options: configure hang up button press + long press
- bugfix: fixed regression where skipping always paused playback
- added available parts (some features were implemented later) of sv/es/ru/pl translations (thanks eson/caballlero/ancelad/marmistrz)
- new page: about
- new option: purge old saved directory progress
- new convenience setting: reset playback speed by long pressing slider

* Sat Jan 07 velox 0.0-6
- bugfix: fix playback bug introduced in 0.0-5 while trying to fix speed issue
- bugfix: more sane speed reset workaround
- bugfix: skipping by time pauses playback when it switches to previous track
- add missing german translation strings

* Fri Jan 06 2017 velox 0.0-5
- bugfix: speed often resets to 100% as track switches
- new option (experimental): control with head set buttons (call/hangup = play/pause)
- new option: periodically save current progress
- new option: verbose logging
- new option: sort naturally when scanning files
- options are saved when leaving options page (previously only on clean app exit)

* Fri Jan 06 2017 velox 0.0-4
- Display file/folder names on Lock Screen
- Simple enqueue function (will not save progress for reopening that directory)
- Show directory name in Playlist view

* Sun Jan 03 2016 velox 0.0-3
- uppercase file suffixes (*.MP3 instead of *.mp3) allowed

* Sun Jan 03 2016 velox 0.0-2
- now lets you open *.mp3, *.m4a, *.m4b, *.flac, *.ogg. *.wav files (ability to play equals system media player)

Comments

Historyscholar's picture

I translate Talefish into Chinese,but there is something wrong.I Just correct the Chinese translation,Can you update it?

velox's picture

New release is out. Thanks again for your translation!

velox's picture

Hi, thank you for translating!
I will update the translation, but it may take a little while. I'll try to do it this week.

cheers!

Ygorr's picture

Please add playing speed changing from i.e. x0.5... x1.55 with step 0.05

Hi!
So speaking in terms of how it's displayed right now, you'd like me to expand the available range from 80-120% to 50-155%? Steps already are 1% = 0.01.
I really like having 100% centered, so I may increase the range uniformly in both directions at some point.
But because I have no method of pitch correction, this will produce really low or high pitched output. I have yet to discover audiobooks where even 80 (really bassy) or 120 (squeaky like a dog toy) is bearable. Are you sure you have a real use case for that?

carlosgonz's picture

yes \0/ i like talefish-11 thanks ...

velox's picture

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like it!
cheers!

virgi's picture

hey man! great app! why don't you upload your app to harbour?

velox's picture

Sorry for the late reply & thanks for the praise!
This Application breaks so many harbour rules it's not even funny. Some of those things harbour does not allow are what makes Talefish useful for me. And "useful for me" is basically the whole reason I made it in the first place. (Well, if some people use it and even tell me they like it, it makes me warm and fuzzy inside, but they can do so outside of harbour ;) )

TamarindoJuice's picture

transifex link?

msava's picture

Problem: nothing provides libQt5Core.so.5(Qt_5) needed by Talefish-0.0-9.armv7hl

The file exists (/usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5), provided by qt5-qtcore-5.2.1+git36-1.30.1

This problem affects both version 0.0-8 and 0.0-9

velox's picture

I'm no packaging expert, much less so for RPM, so I'm starting with the this-fixes-most-install-problems-question:
Have you tried pkcon refresh as root to ensure your package lists are up to date?
I've just now uninstalled and reinstalled Talefish via warehouse on my Jolla1 with SFOS 2.1.0.9 without any problems. zypper what-provides qt5-qtcore lists a higher version (5.6.2+git12.1-1.34.1 in the jolla repository) for me, but there should be no minimum version requirement for Talefish – at least I have not defined any in the package meta data.

paranoik's picture

Is is possible to add support for control from headset, like play/pause as for the native media player?
Also, are sources available somewhere?

velox's picture

I don't have a headset supporting this, so I most likely won't include it soon (and don't really know how yet), but it's a nice Idea – noted.

edit: It's not open source, but that may change.

paranoik's picture

With my Philips SHE2115 headset the play/pause control doesn't work, unfortunately.

velox's picture

That's a shame, thanks for testing!
It's open source now, so if you'd still like to take a look at what I've done wrong, you can find it at the bottom of https://github.com/jgibbon/Talefish/blob/master/qml/lib/TalefishPlayer.qml :)

Note: Yesterday's version with the controls part was so unuseably buggy I've removed it after an hour, perhaps you've missed it and got the older one. Todays update includes it again - you can enable it in the options.

Thanks for your help!

paranoik's picture

If sources are opened I could contribute to handle pause/play management from headset.

velox's picture

Wow, thanks for the offer! I've only seen that now – after adding it. That would have been a great incentive to budget some time to clean up the code mess for releasing. Well… there's a chance it does not even work, so I might come back to your offer at some point ;)

oeroe's picture

Found a bug.

I usually listen to audiobooks with 120% speed (would probably use faster if possible) and the speed often resets to 100% as track switches to next. Pause/replay sets speed back to 120%, but it has to be done from the app itself or from cover action, lockscreen is not enough.
Thanks for the otherwise great app!

Should be fixed in 0.0-5

velox's picture

Thanks for the bug report – I'll try to reproduce it.

oldling's picture

Is this project still active? Is there a github somewhere?

velox's picture

It was inactive for a long while, but I've resumed looking after it. Not open source, but that might actually change at some point. [edit: it DID change! see description for details!]

usaquellochesei's picture

Thank you for this audio book app the best. I listen in my car but i can start/play and pause by bluetooth can you update please.

velox's picture

Will be hard to implement, because I don't have regular access to a bluetooth set up with play/pause buttons. [edit: implemented!]

Sailfex's picture

Thank you for this audio book app.

There are two issues that slightly hinder the use of this excellent app.

When OOM killer kills the app the current track position is lost.  I think that after been killed by OOM, Talefish continues to play from the track where it was last time properly closed by the user.

The other thing is with playing track order. For example my audio book is ripped from CD disks and there are 9 disks and about 110 tracks. When there are more than 10 tracks in a disk/folder the Talefish does not play tracks in correct order. It plays track1, track10, track11, track2 and so on. The tracks which number is over 10 gets misplaced in queu.

Thank you anyway and I hope you can fix these issues and make the app even better.

velox's picture

The app state is only saved on clean exit to keep it a bit more light weight while running. I might add an option to periodically save it in between.

The file name sorting is just "dumb" alphabetical – right now you'd have to add leading zeroes to the file names to make it work. I'll have a look at this at some point.

velox's picture

There are new options for handling both of your problems in 0.0-5.

Horus's picture

Hi,

first of all nice that there is a tablet version. But I have some problems with the app. First of all, on the tablet the crashes regulary, when another app is open and used. Than when the app crashes app changes are neglected. :( Thinks that would very usefull: add audiobook with all its subfolders...

Nice to have: easier change of audiobook, download artwork, artwork is not always found, fast-forward to next audio file.

The artwork with the tape looks great...