WiFiKilL3r

This app will monitor your WiFi connection. And when it is not connected to a trusted network, it will shutdown your wifi device.

The idea is that when you leave your home, your mobile phone is looking for WiFi networks. Nowadays companies uses WiFi tracking devices in order to see how much people are walking by. If this is done throughout a hole city, you can be 'followed'.

There are more solutions for this like MAC spoofing. But this app will also save some power, because it will shutdown the wifi device.

When you start the app, it is not monitoring your networks. First add a new trusted network. Pull down and select Update trusted networks. If your wifi is running, it shows a list of visible networks. Select your network. Known networks are pre-selected.

Trusted networks are saved with their name and mac address. This should prevent staying online on a spoofed WiFi network.

By then hitting the WiFiKilL3r button, the app will monitor your networks. And when you leave home, it will shutdown your WiFi. When it does, it will send a notification.

The app will be running in the background as of version 0.3! Yesh this means total protection all the time!

File wifikill3r-0.1-1.armv7hl.rpm76.72 KB24/06/2016 - 00:00
File wifikill3r-0.8-3.armv7hl.rpm91.86 KB10/03/2019 - 13:29
File wifikill3r-0.8-3.i486.rpm91.99 KB10/03/2019 - 13:29
File wifikill3r-0.9-1.armv7hl.rpm91.81 KB30/12/2019 - 15:42
File wifikill3r-0.9-1.i486.rpm92.13 KB30/12/2019 - 15:42
File wifikill3r-0.10-1.armv7hl.rpm93.26 KB03/01/2020 - 19:46
File wifikill3r-0.10-1.i486.rpm93.54 KB03/01/2020 - 19:46

- Updated needed dependencies and make sure all rights are correct (2).
- Added option to enable/disable notifications

Comments

theyosh's picture

What kind of device do you have. Sounds strange.

breiti_oi's picture

I'm on Jolla C.

theyosh's picture

That could be a problem. As far I know there are software difference between Jolla C and Jolla 1. And I have a Jolla 1. But I do not know what the deferences are. I will have to look into it. I do not know how long that would take.

To help me a bit, could you mail the logfile to: openrepos.net@theyosh.nl ?

hemiwi's picture

Hi theyosh,

thanks for that awesome app which is saving 20% of battery power daily. It enhanced my daily phone life extremly. One question - would it be possible for you to port the app to Jolla Tablet (i486)? I would like to install it there too.

hemiwi

theyosh's picture

Just created an i486 version. I am unable to test it, so I hope it works. The Emulator does not support WiFi to test.

olf's picture

Installing v0.4-1 via Warehouse under SailfishOS 2.1.1.26 fails!
Status: repo-not-available
Extra details: File '.mw/armv7hl/dbus-python3-1.2.0-1.1.13.armv7hl.rpm' not found on medium 'https://releases.jolla.com/releases/2.1.1.26/jolla/armv7hl/'

This software looks promising, if I could only install and try it. Looks like a simple packaging flaw to me (the inclusion of something in a '.mw' directory), on first sight.

*Edit:* A 'pkcon refresh' is all it takes to resolve this.

theyosh's picture

Old issue: https://github.com/theyosh/WiFiKilL3r/issues/2#issuecomment-258679073 and https://openrepos.net/comment/16221#comment-16221

So you should try mannually update your repositories. I did not change depenedencies.

olf's picture

Thanks: Yes, after a 'pkcon refresh', WiFiKilL3r installed flawlessly.

Bobsikus's picture

hello, I have one question, since this app basically do this already, could you implement (or create separate app, up to you), there still does not exist app/service which should disable wifi after no usage for some time, something like in N900 "autodisconnect" app :) thank you at least for the answer :)

theyosh's picture

You want to disconnect after X minutes when you are connected to a trusted network? That does not make sence to me. If the network is trusted, why want you to disconnect?

Else, if the network is not trusted where you are connected with, or when there are now kown networks available, it will shutdown and disconnect.

So, those are the two cases I see. I can't see an autodisconnect feather. For GPRS I can image it because off costs. Else not

Bramba's picture

Dear theyosh,

thanks a lot for this nice idea to improve users privacy! :-)

One question from my side: Do you think you could build a simple toggle for switching on/off the daemon in Sailfish's quick-menue? I would dream about some toggle-button similar like airplane-mode, WiFi, mobile data, etc.

Maybe you could run the app completely in the background with such a button?

Thank you very much for your efforts! :-)

With best regards!
Bramba

theyosh's picture

There is already... I have next to my airplane switch a wifi switch. So this is already possible with out an app.

objectifnul's picture

No longer working after Sailfish 2.1.1.26 upgrade.

Should be working again.

theyosh's picture

I also noticed it... :( So I will look into this, but can take some time.

Ingvix's picture

I can't seem to add any trusted networks. I get this error:

Mar 22 14:01:56 Sailfish [10267]: [D] onError:82 - python error: Not a parameter list in call to WiFiKilL3r.save_trusted_network:

Should be fixed now

theyosh's picture

Hmm, is a bug: https://together.jolla.com/question/156736/2109-pyotherside-call_sync-br...

But somehow I cannot get to work on my Phone with latest version

theyosh's picture

Sorry for not replying. Will look into this also

Noerde's picture

I try to install this to my Jolla C, During the installation I get message about missing package:

File './mv/armv7hl/dbus-python3-1.2.9-1.1.9.armv7hl.rpm' not found on medium 'https://releases.jolla.com/releases/2.0.4.14/jolla/armv7hl/'

Obviously the installation does't continue.

theyosh's picture

Hi, this is resolved by updating your packages. You have an outdated packagelist.

Solution: Try refreshing all the packages in Warehouse or login with SSH and run pkcon refresh as nemo or zypper refresh as root