Phonehook

Your rating: None Average: 5 (19 votes)

Phonehook is a multi-purpose Sailfish application to enhance phone functionality.

Now also for Android:

Caller Lookup

Information will appear in an overlay on top of the incoming call screen. This information is extracted directly from different online phone number directories.

Call Blocking

You can block unwanted callers by adding them to the block list. You can either pick a contact from your phone or add a number manually. Support for wildcards means you can block calls from a certain country or region. You can also add a source for automatic call blocking. All numbers flagged as spam by this source will be blocked. Since this feature could potentially end up blocking calls you actually want, use with caution! Check your blocked calls history now and then, and if you notice some source blocking calls it shouldn't, please report the issue on gituhub.

Directory Search

With the search functionality, you can search for people or businesses and call them directly from the app. You can also bring up the maps application for the listed address or save the result to your contacts. Some sources requires you to log in before this will give results.

Post a comment if you want to add a directory for your country and I will check it out! Directories that require login can be added as well, but require a bit more work.

Source code and issue tracker available on GitHub:

Special Thanks

Finnish Localization - Termitebug
Russian Localization - Ancelad
Spanish Localization - Carmen F. B.
Swedish Localization - Åke Engelbrektson

About Sailfish OS Updates

Sailfish OS upgrades recommends uninstalling phonehook before upgrading. If you are running a somewhat recent version of phonehook (0.4.0 and later), this recommendation is no longer relevant. Newer versions of phonehook do not interfer with OS upgrades. Version 0.3.x and earlier modifies the Sailfish homescreen, which may cause issues in some scenarios. 0.4.0+ does not modify the homescreen.

Planned Features

phonehook-0.6.0-2.armv7hl.rpm278.56 KB25/11/2015 - 16:08
phonehook-0.6.1-1.armv7hl.rpm303.84 KB16/08/2016 - 11:27
phonehook-0.6.2-1.armv7hl.rpm304.12 KB18/10/2016 - 14:11
phonehook-0.6.2-2.armv7hl.rpm313.18 KB20/10/2016 - 12:17
phonehook-0.6.3-1.armv7hl.rpm306.81 KB17/02/2017 - 15:23

0.6.3

• Updated for compability with Sailfish 2.1 (pre-release)

0.6.2-2

• Restored missing translation files
  • Restored order of input fields on configuration page

0.6.2

• New configuration/activation functionality for sources
  • Fixed issue with multiple SIM slots
  • Added Finnish translation (thanks Termitebug)
  • Added Russian translation (thanks Ancelad)

0.6.1

• Added automatic update for sources (can be turned off). Data fetched directly from GitHub
  • Backported some code from Android port
  • Added Spanish localization (thanks Carmen F.B.)

0.6.0

All planned features complete!

• Fix for obscured status bar
  • Fix layout breaking when swiping forward to search
  • Added full localization support (+ Swedish translation)
  • Added contact save feature on popup and search function
  • Added more views to call log (incoming, outgoing, missed calls)

0.5.0

• Added automatic call blocking (Use with caution)
  • New popup look and functionality. If you want the old look back, there is a setting for that (requires daemon restart).
  • Added offline caching of results and HTML-responses
  • Added new OAuth-like login functionality (experimental)
  • ​Various GUI improvements

0.4.1

• Fixed issue with lookups not working after phone reboot

0.4.0

• Added call blocking function (beta). Number (with wildcard) and contact blocking.
  • Added recent call list lookups
  • No longer modifies homescreen
  • GUI navigation changes
  • Removed dependency to patch binary
  • Removed SMS lookups (for now)
  • Removed compability mode

0.3.3

• Added popup timeout setting
  • Removed forcible uninstall of broken installation
  • Removed dependency on nemonotifications library

0.3.2

• Possible fix for uninstallation/upgrade issues with earlier versions
  • Fixed scrolling problems on several pages
  • Scraper upgrades

0.3.1

• Fixed broken connection manager dialog in Sailfish OS 1.1.2
  • Scraper upgrades

0.3.0

• Added phonebook functionality (search for people & businesses)
  • Added cover action (Search)
  • Popup uses ambience colors
  • Popup no longer displays above the lockscreen
  • Added a compability mode to be used when the standard popup is not available
  • Added support for international numbers (will attempt to use foreign lookup sites if incoming call is from abroad)
  • Fixed uninstall issue when patch had been reverted before uninstall
  • Daemon now auto-starts with GUI
  • Improved daemon startup time
  • Added capability listing for sources (phonebook/lookup)
  • Numerous other small changes

0.2.1

• Workaround for broken "Connect to Internet" dialog
  • Cleaned up "Add Source" page, auto-detects and defaults to users country.
  • Added setting to enable while roaming (default = not enabled)

0.2.0

• Added cookie caching
  • Better handling of password fields
  • Added link field for sources
  • Source metadata stored in local db
  • Fixed gzip decompression bug

Comments

kaari's picture

Hi, I'm having trouble keep daemon running on early access 2.1.0.9. It runs few seconds then stops. In terminal it says roaming false, but tried to turn on and off roaming settings. Then it exists Segmentation fault.

omnight's picture

Hi, I've also tried updating to 2.1.0.9 today, and I'm seeing the same thing. I will have a look at it and try to figure out what the problem is.

Update:

The crash seems to happen when the daemon creates the overlay view (which happens after 10 seconds). Also seems to affect other apps with overlay, like https://openrepos.net/content/coderus/battery-overlay

Update 2:

Phonehook 0.6.3 is built with Qt 5.6 and should fix the issue.

carmenfdezb's picture

Great!! Thanks for the update!!

Translations files are missing in v0.6.3. Could you add them?

Ingvix's picture

So is the problem in the system and you can't really do anything about it right now?

omnight's picture

Update:

I got some tips from CodeRUS and now Phonehook 0.6.3 should run ok on Sailfish 2.1. I more or less just needed to build the app with the preview SDK.

Ingvix's picture

Thanks. Though the translation files seem to be missing.

kaari's picture

Yes, it's working again. Thank you so much.

anasofoz's picture

when someone calls I get 'name available' only , not the actual name. why is that happening? I am using truecaller as the source. thanks

omnight's picture

Hi, I've noticed that this happens when you get logged out for some reason, and logging back in usually fixes it for a while. I'd recommend trying the "Truecaller App" source that's been recently added, that should work more reliably.

3vixan's picture

For PagineBianche.it (Business), the app doesn't add the phone number to Contacts, only the address...is it a known bug?

omnight's picture

Hi! I've updated that source now, give it a try :)

veikert's picture

In version 0.6.2-2 Russian language appeared. Thank you.

В версии 0.6.2-2 появился русский язык. Спасибо.

Ancelad's picture

I don't see Russian translation in the latest app-version :)

japsi's picture

Also finnish translation in missing...

omnight's picture

Seems that the Finnish translation had the wrong encoding, which caused the build to skip all of the translations. I've uploaded 0.6.2-2 which fixes that and some other minor issues.

omnight's picture

Are you sure you are using the latest version? They show up for me when I switch to Russian.

elex's picture

idea: would it be possible to add feature 'apply/unapply all patches' in pulleymenue? (or at least mark/unmark all patches as tool to choose before using 'restart preload services')

omnight's picture

Not quite sure what the question is. Phonehook doesn't do any patching since 0.4.0

BobTheBodybuilder's picture

In Sailfish 1.1.9.28 when you search something you can see half of the main page in the background. There might be some other places that this happen. Like when you add new service if I remember correctly.

omnight's picture

Weird, I'm running 1.1.9.28, but I have never seen that occur. Does it happen every time?

BobTheBodybuilder's picture

Yes it does happen every time. I have only used Fonecta so I don't know how it behaves in other services.

Edit: If I press search it works ok but if I swipe then this happens.

omnight's picture

Yeah now I see it, I usually always press Search when I do searches, which is why it never happens for me.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong in the app or if it's a Sailfish issue with swiping dialog windows. I'll do some research when I get the time.

luxbrux's picture

Data sources and settings for Italy where I can find them, or how can I best configure phonehook for numbers Italians ....

omnight's picture

Hi! I have added paginebianche.it as a data source now, so you can check that one out.

Generally the advice is to use the global directories if no specific ones are available to your country, and since laws and such differ between countries, that may sometimes be the only choice.

okourkoulos's picture

Hi again,

Will you be making a version for 1.1.9, or 2.0?

omnight's picture

If there are any issues that needs to be fixed then I will make a new version. I'm currently running 1.1.9.28 on my phone, and everything still seems to be working.

If you find anything, please let me know.

virgi's picture

hey man! thanks for great app!

please, consider adding following functionality: ability to set "busy/auto-reply" mode. In that mode when you receive phone calls from any number (except for some kind off white list), phone automatically sends sms with chosen body (i.e "i' busy, will call you back")

omnight's picture

Thanks for the suggestion, I will add it to my list and see if I can work it into a coming version.

carmenluci's picture

Thank you for this app, it's great!!

Could you add Directory search for Spanish numbers? For example:

Thank you very much!!

Hi!

I had a look at that site, but I can't find a way to do lookups for numbers, only search for names. The name search also requires that you specify the region you want to search in. If you find a site where you can enter numbers and get names, let me know and I can try to work with it.