Jupii

UPnP/DLNA client for Sailfish OS

Features

• Discovery of UPnP/DLNA devices in a local network
  • Remote control (Play, Pause, Next, Prev, Seek, Volume up/down)
  • Playing local content (Music, Video, Images) on Media Renderer devices
  • Playing gPodder's podcasts
  • Playing remote content (e.g. internet radio, SomaFM channels, Icecast streams, FOSDEM videos, Bandcamp, SoundCloud, TuneIn stations, YouTube Music)
  • Playing items from Media Servers on Media Renderer devices
  • Streaming of local Microphone to Media Renderer devices
  • Streaming of audio playback of any local application (similar functionality to pulseaudio-dlna server)
  • Screen capture / Screen mirroring (only when sandboxing is disabled)
  • Recording of tracks, inluding tracks in Icecast streams
  • Play queue (play once/repeat options)
  • Playlists (saving/opening)
  • Sharing content to other devices via UPnP Media Server

Sandboxing (version >= 2.12.0)

• explicit SailJail permissions are enabled in version >= 2.12.0
  • app settings get reset (settings migration is not implemented)
  • features that don't work right now under sandboxing:
    • Screen Capture
    • settings option to enable/disable 'Open link'

Translations

All translations are very welcome. There are three ways to contribute:

Source code

Bugs reporting, Feature requests

Any comments, issue reports are highly appreciated.

Keywords:

File harbour-jupii-2.13.4-2.i486.rpm11.5 MB05/12/2022 - 15:23

2.13.4 (harbour)

• Bug fixes

2.13.2 (harbour)

• German translation update

2.13.1 (beta)

• Translations upadate: Dutch (Heimen Stoffels), German (drosjesjaafoer), Slovenian (Boštjan Štrumbelj), Spanish (Carmen Fernández B.) and Swedish (Åke Engelbrektson). Many thanks to all translators!
  • Bug fixes

2.13.0 (beta)

• YouTube Music browser.
  • Caching
  • Audio extracting from remote video
  • Media type indicator
  • Permission for integration with gPodder app
  • Screen capture only without sandboxing
  • Improved Bandcamp and SoundCloud browsers
  • Bug fixes and improvements

2.12.0 (beta)

• Sandboxing permissions enabled
  • Screen capture disabled (doesn't work with SailJail)
  • Few minor changes needed to make app working under sandboxing

For more details see the About->Changes page in the app.

Comments

Bramba's picture

I have issues playing the following webradio (added via "Remote URL"):

With previous versions of Jupii it seemed to work fine, but recently there is a failure somewhere. :-)

mkiol's picture

Thank for reporting it. It is a bug. Fixed in version 2.13.4 (will be on OR in a few minutes).

247's picture

I noticed now jupii has bandcamp support, and that's great. At this point anyway wouldn't be nice a separate bandcamp application?even if it would be a simple streamer, that would be really nice...

mkiol's picture

I use and love Bandcamp as well. Just a streaming app with off-line support would be very very nice. I think it is doable and I don't see any technical obsticles. The only problem is that would take a lot of work. Moreover API is not public, so there is a chance that Bandcamp might in any point in time restrict access to it and effort spent on app development would be wasted :/

objectifnul's picture

Maybe hardware specific? (Xperia X)

objectifnul's picture

Audio Capture still broken (Xperia X)

mkiol's picture

Thank you for reporting. Unfortunatly I did not fix anything related to Audio Capture in the recent release. I still cannot reproduce this problem on my devices, but keep trying.

inte's picture

I guess its experimental anyways, but screen mirroring doesn't work at all for me (Xperia X10ii trying to mirror an Android video streaming app). The furthest I got were a still imaging of the running video steam. From the logs:
lipstick_recorder_manager@67: error 0: Permission to bind lipstick_recorder_manager denied
[C] 14:54:15.618 0x56c97f8ca0 :0 - The Wayland connection experienced a fatal error (Protokollfehler)
Wayland display got fatal error 71: Protokollfehler
Additionally, errno was set to 71: Protokollfehler
The display is now unusable, aborting.
Aborted (core dumped)

mkiol's picture

Thank you for reporting. I will look in to it. Yes, screen mirroring is an experiment. It somehow works on Xperia 10 and Jolla C, but I have never tested it on Xperia 10II. I'm guessing the problem might be related to aarch64 but hard to say. Honestly, Jupii's "Screen capture" is not really useful right now. It is extremely laggy and there is huge delay between phone and the mirror, so you don't miss much.

objectifnul's picture

v2.11.2 has audio capture still broken for me. v2.10 still OK. Sorry.
Info: v2.11.2 audio capture worked once (after about 10 failures) but for less than one second only.

objectifnul's picture

Audio capture no longer working after update to 2.11. Reverted to 2.10 (Xperia X + SFOS 3.4.0.24)
Unfortunately, the "Enable logging" option is also broken in v2.11 (no log file created)

mkiol's picture

Thanks for the quick bug report!

Indeed logging to file was broken. Fixed in newest 2.11.1 version.

I couldn't reproduce problem with Audio capture. I don't have Xperia X, but on Jolla C (SFOS 3.4.0.24) and Xperia 10 (4.3) everything seems to be fine. Could you please provide a log file for investigation? Thanks

objectifnul's picture

Log file available here: http://desguin.net/download/jupii_2-11.log.zip

Note: the 'renderer' is an AudioPro C3 wireless speaker (https://www.audiopro.com/en/product/addon-c3/#grey)

mkiol's picture

Thanks for providing logs. I'm not sure if that was a main problem you've observed, but in the recent version (2.11.2) I've fixed 'app crash during audio capturing' issue. Could you please check this new version?

nowave7's picture

Ah yes, you are right. I misunderstood some of the features listed, and thought that it could also play content from media servers. Thanks for the clarification!

nowave7's picture

Hi, I connected to my RaspberryPI media server, but can't seem to stream any of my mp3 music. I add the titles to the play queue, but i can't seem to fnd any way to actually stary with the reproduction. The server is not an issue, VLC on android is streaming music, no problems at all. One thing I did notice, however, is that in order to find the server in the first place, I needed to enable 'All devices visible' in the settings. Dont know if that makes any difference... Any idea what i might be missing? Thanks!

mkiol's picture

Most likely you're trying to use this app for something it is not designed for. Jupii is a Media Server (primary use case), so it serves content (usually files stored on SFOS device) to Media Renderer in your local network. You can't play content from Media Server on the phone with Jupii. You was not able to see your RaspberryPI server on devices list because only Media Renderer devices are shown on that list (the device on which you can play content).

I think that app you are looking for is Donnie. With Donnie you can set as Renderer 'Built-in Player' and play files from a media server.

mkiol's picture

I've just noticed that the first Jupii's screenshoot shows RespberryPI on devices list. It is possible because I've installed mpd and upmpdcli on my Pi. My Pi has speeker connected and I use it as media player (not as media server).

border's picture

Just found out about the audio capture function. This is perfect for all my needs (Sony Xperia 10). Thank you very much for Jupii!!

mkiol's picture

Welcome. I'm glad you found Jupii useful :)

Bramba's picture

Thank you very much for your great efforts! :-)

Did anybody test the app with TechniSat-devices? They have this ELAC-controller included. In Jupii I can detect and connect a AudioMaster without any problems, but I can not process any further.

As soon as I try to play a specific music file, the "waiting" circle at the music file will appear, stucks after a few seconds and the app crashes.

Can I provide you some log files anyhow?

mkiol's picture

Thanks for the report. Issue will be tracked in https://github.com/mkiol/Jupii/issues/34

Kabouik's picture

I'm having issues with the screen cast feature. I have tried it from Pro1 to multiple devices, but every time the resolution is broken (not sure what is the displayed resolution but fonts are unreadable) and the cast is not smooth (often frozen, with >10s of lag too), despite no walls blocking the WiFi. Could it be caused by the native 2160x1080 resolution of the Pro1 or is it the same with other phones? My TVs are only 1080p, but I don't know if there is a way to limit the cast resolution.

mkiol's picture

Unfortunately Screen capture does not work well - sorry :( This feature is an experiment and freezes, lags are something that you might observe. It happens because CPU is not power enough to handle real-time video encoding. I did not figure out yet how to use hardware-based encoding.

In the Settings there is "Sceen capture quality" slider. You can change the quality of the stream to test if lower resolution makes stream more stable. The options are:

1 (most left) - device resolution / 4, low quality of resolution downscaling

2 - device resolution / 4, high quality of resolution downscaling

3 - device resolution / 2, high quality of resolution downscaling

4 - original device resolution, no downscaling

5 - original device resolution, no downscaling, higher framerate

lxmx's picture

Actually Jupii pairs nicely with the locally installed Kodi. I am a happy Bandcamper now!

lxmx's picture

Given that Jupii is the only native Bandcamp client for SFOS, it would be awesome if it could also play the content locally on the phone. Wonder if you considered that :)

mkiol's picture

Actually I did consider that :)

The only turn down is lack of public API. Jupii uses "ugly" html parser to extract relevant data from Bandcamp. It works now but it will break everytime when structure of bandcamp web page gets changed.

leighelse's picture

Thank you for this fantastic utility. I'm astonished at how well it works, but have one issue you may be able to advise on.

I'm using Jupii with my Xperia XA2 Plus and a Panasonic Vierra 43EX600. I can select any number of items of any type in a queue. The first item plays, but nothing I do will persuade Jupii to automatically play the following item. For example, if I select all the tracks in a music album, track 1 plays and then playback stops and the TV returns to whatever it was doing before Jupii interrupted.

Is there likely to be a solution for this? If so, how can I help find it? Would generating a log be useful?

Thanks again for Jupii though; it's invaluable even with this shortcoming.

leighelse's picture

I should have noted in my original post that the "Next" button is always greyed out within Jupii's player, even when I've selected a queue of similar items (eg, tracks from a music album).

mkiol's picture

Thanks for letting me known about this issue.

Yes, the log would be very helpful. Just select "Settings"->"Enable logging", restart Jupii, do what leads to the issue, close Jupii, send me the log file (/home/nemo/jupii.log) to jupii@mkiol.net.

DLNA implementations on TVs (Samsung, Sony) are very picky and sometimes buggy as well. There is also an alternative mode. Did you try browsing content through you TV interface instead Jupii playback control? You can start Jupii and instead selecting the device just swipe right to the play queue. Every item on play queue should be accessible from your TV interface i.e. TV should detect that Jupii (new media server source) is available in your local network. From my experience this mode works much better on TV.