Pure Maps

4.92029

Pure Maps is a full-featured map and navigation application allowing you to explore maps, search for addresses and points of interest, as well as assist with navigation. For that, it uses online or offline service providers.

Offline maps, search and routing is possible with OSM Scout Server. Pure Maps will list OSM Scout Server among the providers if you have it installed. For it work, you'll also need to have the server running and map data on your device. See the OSM Scout Server documentation for installation instructions and follow setup instructions for Poor Maps.

Note: Online maps users are requested to register their own Mapbox GL key and enter it through the preferences of the application. This will allow us to use default key for application testing and provide the service without hitting free tier limits. Reasoning behind the requst is explained at TMO post, see follow up messages on TMO pages for users feedback and small details on how to enable and test the personal key. Note that without significant number of users moving to the personal keys, Mapbox key will be revoked and the users of Mapbox tiles will not be able to access it.

Note, SFOS releases support: As starting from version 2.7.5 Pure Maps relies on QtPositioning 5.4, SFOS versions before 4.0 are not supported. Corresponding commits are 616c406a7efdb1fe9cfa841ff0bbc8250860afb0 and ed4290634753f1bdcf962de35f36e0f092249616.

As of 23 Jan 2019, the public Mapbox access key has been revoked. Users are welcome to register their private key in the application.

Requirements:

• Mapbox GL Native QML component for map display and interaction, should be installed as a dependency automatically.
  • Voice navigation requires that you manually install a text-to-speech (TTS) engine – Mimic, Flite, PicoTTS and Espeak are supported. Their quality is about in that order, with Mimic and PicoTTS available from this repository. See corresponding TTS engines for language covereage.

Pure Maps is a fork of WhoGo Maps and continues its legacy. Reasons for forking described at corresponding post.

License: GPLv3

File harbour-pure-maps-2.7.5-1.aarch64.rpm1.85 MB22/05/2021 - 18:13
File harbour-pure-maps-2.7.5-1.armv7hl.rpm1.83 MB22/05/2021 - 18:13
File harbour-pure-maps-2.7.5-1.i486.rpm1.99 MB22/05/2021 - 18:13
File harbour-pure-maps-2.8.1-1.84.1.jolla_.i486.rpm2.03 MB21/10/2021 - 22:30
File harbour-pure-maps-2.8.1-1.84.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm1.86 MB21/10/2021 - 22:30
File harbour-pure-maps-2.8.1-1.84.1.jolla_.aarch64.rpm1.89 MB21/10/2021 - 22:30

Comments

PizzaProgram's picture

I have the feeling this new version is loading much much faster on SFOS 4.2.

Thanks for creating and updating this great APP continouosly !!
Nice work :-)

mercurio's picture

I too on my XA2, with Verla, I have the same problem of simosagi: there are already two updates that I have to uninstall and re-install...

rinigus's picture

Please check in the terminal why does it not want to update. If it is because of the vendor change then it should be safe to update anyway.

mercurio's picture

Hi rinigus, and thank you very much for the quick reply! Forgive me but I'm not very experienced: how can I check from the terminal?

rinigus's picture

Easiest is to become root and then run

zypper ref

zypper up

See the packages that it does refuse to install in the text output. Then try to run

zypper in packagename1 packagename2

then it will tell the reason. If it is due to vendor change, run

zypper in -f packagename1 packagename2

mercurio's picture

Mhmm it tells me "not found". Do I need to install anything in particular to use the zypper command?

rinigus's picture

You can do similar using pkcon command. See manual for that command to achive similar.

slava's picture

Fatal error: nothing provides mapboxgl-qml >= 1.7.0 needed by harbour-pure-maps-2.8.1-1.84.1.jolla.armv7hl

Apparently this mapboxgl-qml thing isn't part of Sailfish OS and doesn't get pulled in as a dependency. I suggest to compile it in. Or somehow load it dynamically.

rinigus's picture

mapboxgl-qml should come from https://openrepos.net/content/rinigus/mapbox-gl-native-bindings-qt-qml . Maybe `pkcon refresh` would help?

slava's picture

I understand your motivation as a programmer, but as a user I don't want to add extra repos or anything. I'm just installing rpms, which I like to be standalone, to reduce the amount of mess, probability of conflicts and to be able to easily remove the whole thing by just uninstalling a single package.

That's why I'm statically linking non-standard shared components into my apps.

rinigus's picture

That type of distribution is used for Jolla Store and Pure Maps from Jolla Store is following it. While there are couple of additional restrictions, Jolla Store version can be used as well.

Usually I am bundling the libraries as well, for example with OSM Scout Server. While some libraries are bundled with Pure Maps in OpenRepos version, the notable exception is Mapbox GL QML bindings. Those are not bundled to allow several apps to share the same bindings. To my knowledge, these bindings are also used by

• Amazfish
  • Kuri and Laufhelden

Which allows me to fix bugs in the QML bindings or add new functionality and make fixes available to all apps. Over the years (first release Dec 2017), these QML bindings were stable and I don't remember any breakage in API.

yomark's picture

Had the same issue as simosagi on Sailfish 4.2.Also stuck on 2.7.5. Installed the rpm from here https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/sailfishos:/chum/4.2.0.21_armv7hl/armv7h... , after that Storeman did propose an update of pure maps(minor update so it seems).

rinigus's picture

Looks like an issue was due to the way the package was built - OBS sets vendor to "meego" by default. As a result, it complicates the install (prevents hopping the vendors). Rebuilt the packages and uploaded them here without vendor this time.

In Chum, we use vendor to allow you to specify preferred source of the packages. That way you can mix with other stores.

simosagi's picture

Does the new version 2.8.1 requires SFOS 4.2 ?
I have SFOS 4.1 running on my device, and PureMaps 2.7.5-1 installed.
Storeman detected and reported the update 2.8.1-1.83.1.jolla being available, but does not propose it for update, so I wonder if it's because some missing requirement (like newer OS libraries)

rinigus's picture

No, it should be fine. Try to make an update in the terminal and see why it refuses to install. As for SFOS version coverage, best support for older SFOS versions is covered via Chum:

simosagi's picture

Just FYI, I didn't check in time the manual update, as after you released 2.8.1-1.84.1 it was installable again from Storeman (so I guess in my case it was because of the OBS vendor field?).

danfin's picture

also quite a pity: Edits in OpenStreetMap do not carry over quickly to Pure Maps

danfin's picture

quite a pity, pure maps does not display much info on stuff like ev charge stations. These become increasingly popular and it might be good to ddisplay what kinds of plugs or sockets are available.

Malakay's picture

Hi Rinigus, is any way how to open geo link in pure maps? For example geo:50.158,17.030?q=ks. When I open it with qr reader, it runs pure maps, but i need to set those coordinates as a target for navigation.is any way how to do this?

Hi Malakay

there is a command line support for geo: as well. It may got broken in the last releases (see and comment at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/82). It should open location given the coordinates and then user will be able to proceed from there (bookmark, route to it, search nearby).

There is also DBus interface provided by Pure Maps. If you have more specific requirement, you may want to look into that.

maier's picture

Fyi. After install of new SFOS it is working again with position. OSM Server i have not installed so far.

maier's picture

I have installed Pure Maps. It was working. After installing OSM Scout Server i didn't get a Position / GSM information. On a xperia 10 II

mezgerg's picture

Hi.

Is it possible to have different render styles in PureMaps, for example hiking theme with elevation lines and hiking routes? I know OSM has these data but im not famiiliar how Osm Scout Server works. Is it possible to achieve this?

Thanks
Gary

rinigus's picture

Yes, it is possible. Just someone has to work on it. See https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/304

TMavica's picture

Can u build a 64 bit mapbox too?

Uploaded, should be now available for aarch64 as well

rinigus's picture

Yes, now I can using tbuilder. Actually did, but it was with the debug symbols blowing up mapbox-gl into 100mb+ package. Would start the builds tonight again

nazzareno's picture

When I try to install it, it says that I miss libcrypto....etc. What's happening on my xperia x?

rinigus's picture

I assume you haven't updated to the latest SFOS version. The latest uploaded version was compiled for SFOS 4.0. Corresponding binaries for older SFOS releases are at https://build.merproject.org/project/show/home:rinigus:maps

nazzareno's picture

Exactly, I have latest 3 version of sfos. I'll try what you suggest to me. Thanks a lot bro ;-)