MLS Manager

Your rating: None Average: 5 (19 votes)

This app is a manager for Mozilla Location Service offline packages for Sailfish OS.

!!! Warning !!!

When using this app deinstall all other mls offline packages from other users first! This software overrides this data otherwise.

Mozilla Location Service

This app uses the offline data from Mozilla Location Service. The data is licensed under Public Domain.

Intention of project

I had alread released some offline packages on OpenRepos.net but I realized keeping all of them up to date will be a very hard job. An other problem is the big package sizes, taking away a lot of ressources from OpenRepos.

So I decided to host my own repository with packages and create a manager app. And here we are...

All of this is only intended as a temporary solution until Jolla presents an alternative.

Development Status

The main functionality is given (I hope) but code is a bit hacky at the moment. It needs to be improved in the future.

Automatic Updates

Updates with actual data will be released weekly (if possible).
I have created an automatic package creation pipline to make the job a bit easier for me.

Available Countries

At the moment 185 different countries are available.

Available Regions

• Africa
  • Asia
  • Australia and Oceania
  • Europe
  • North America
  • South America

How to use

In order to make use of the offline data, the option "High-accuracy positioning" or at least "Battery saving mode" must be active in the location settings of Sailfish OS .

Storage Location

Packages with version >2021.02.10-1 the installation path is in "/home/.system/usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb/".  So no worry about size on ROOT partition. Thanks abranson for his suggestion.

Translations

• English
  • German
  • Norwegian (by comradekingu)
  • Polish (by atlochowski)
  • Slovak (by okruhliak)

Your language is not available? You are welcome to support this project by translating it on my self hosted Weblate server:

Thanks

I want to thank Petr Tsymbarovich(osetr) for his work on Storeman. His code helped me to get an idea how to handle repositories.

Source code is available on Github:

Donation

If you like my work you can buy me a beer.

Donate

File harbour-mlsmanager-0.1.15-1.armv7hl.rpm400.72 KB01/09/2021 - 18:38
File harbour-mlsmanager-0.1.15-1.aarch64.rpm404.28 KB01/09/2021 - 18:38
File harbour-mlsmanager-0.2.0-1.i486.rpm446.14 KB13/10/2021 - 21:05
File harbour-mlsmanager-0.2.0-1.aarch64.rpm441.62 KB13/10/2021 - 21:05
File harbour-mlsmanager-0.2.0-1.armv7hl.rpm438.04 KB13/10/2021 - 21:05
* Wed Oct 13 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.2.0-1
- Add regions (Africa / Asia / Australia & Oceania / Europe / North America / South America)
- Improvements & Bufixes

* Wed Sep 01 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.15-1
- Translation update (Polish / Slovak)
- Remove repository on deinstall (4.2.0 seems to have a problem with it at the moment)

* Thu Jul 15 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.14-1
- Improved scrolling behaviour (thanks to Petr Tsymbarovich for his contribution)

* Tue Jun 01 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.13-1
- Translation fixes Slovak (thanks to Ladislav Hodas)
- Add button to star repo with SailHub in about page

* Mon Apr 19 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.12-1
- Translation fixes
- Build for aarch64

* Sun Mar 07 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.11-1
- Polish translation updated (thanks to atlochowski)
- Show package version info in list

* Wed Mar 03 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.10-1
- Add translation information with self hosted weblate server

* Tue Mar 02 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.9-1
- Polish translation added (atlochowski)

* Tue Mar 02 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.7-1
- Norwegian translation added (comradekingu)
- Slovak translation added (okruhliak)

* Fri Feb 19 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.6-1
- Add page busy indicator

* Sat Feb 13 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.5-1
- Error notifications
- Bugfixes

* Thu Feb 11 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.4-1
- Fixed bug when install all available package updates
- Fixed translations
- Optimizations

* Tue Feb 09 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.3-1
- Show progress of install / remove / update operation of package

* Sun Feb 07 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.2-1
- Update notifications
- Update all packages at once in pulley menu
- Remorse timer for actions
- No need to make a new version of this app when new country is available
- Code cleanup and improvments

* Sat Feb 06 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.1-1
- Added Russia (thanks to osetr again)

* Sat Feb 06 2021 Black Sheep <blacksheep@nubecula.org> 0.1.0-1
- Intitial release

Comments

unmaintained's picture

Why is this app considered "Deprecated" ?

Contrary to what is stated in the description this software is very well still necessary!

The packages from the Jolla store seem to be lacking many, many countries that are included with this excellent app.
Could you please edit the description accordingly?

black_sheep_dev's picture

You convinced me. I removed the deprecated thing.

maier's picture

Hi I can't imstall it on xperia 10 II and I need it for Russia because Jolla's solutions don't support this atea.

black_sheep_dev's picture

Hi, I can't test it because I don't have an Xperia 10 II. Can you please provide the output of "devel-su pkcon -v install harbour-mlsmanager"

tkoham's picture

This is the only way to get mls for the americas still, looks like

black_sheep_dev's picture

I will keep it up. Does it still work vor US with 4.1?

TMavica's picture

Maybe is in china

black_sheep_dev's picture

It should be included in China package, because it is in its bounding rect

TMavica's picture

I want aarch64 package

THX

black_sheep_dev's picture

And you get one! It is out but untested...

TMavica's picture

No Hong Kong?

glanternier's picture

Ok tanks !

glanternier's picture

What about usr/share/geoclue-providers? Should I delete that one too?

No! Only mlsdb!

glanternier's picture

Hello,

I have installed offline MLS packages before this app was released and would like to remove them now so I can instal this one.

Do you know where the files are stored?

Hi,
the files are in /usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb

delocoyo's picture

I will write u bck tomorrow, cause now I have been moving and after uninstall the app I installed another mls app and got it to work. So now I have got the gps close where it shoild be, but dont know if it is cause it has had register the gps accurance from the other mls. I let uou know tmw. Thanks for your answer

delocoyo's picture

And the share location also doesnt works.

delocoyo's picture

The gps doesnt work at all in my xa2 when I have download the country where I am.

Hi,

thank you for your feedback...let's start to analyze your problem!

Some questions:

• Do you get a horizontal accuracy in pure maps or not? When you get several km accuracy in some seconds everything works as it should.
  • Country?
  • Sailfish OS version
  • Is high accuracy mode turned on in location / GPS settings (phone settings)?
  • Did you restart your phone after install. When updating I need to restart my device sometimes to get it to work. Didn't figured out yet what is the problem here.

This software only provides offline data for Mozilla Location Service. This will not give you an accuarte fix at all, it only helps to get one. The accuary is several kilometers depending on the cell towers / data in your area.
I also have a XA2 and sometimes it get a real GPS fix in seconds and sometimes it will take a long time or even doesn't work at all. But this is related to the GPS / Hardware Adaption of XA2.

greatneon's picture

Hi @blak_sheep_dev.  Thank you for this. I've installed it but I'm not sure if everything is working correctly. I've enabled High Accuracy Mode, under Location but I don't get gps fix as fast as one would expect (within seconds) I get it within minutes. Mobile data is enabled.

ls /home/.system/usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb/

gives me: hr si

Any ideas? Should I remove these 2 directories and start over? I hope this will return obtaining agps to previous state when it got fix in seconds.

black_sheep_dev's picture

Hi, I don't know how good / complete the cell info is in Croatia and Slovenia. This data only helps to get a first inaccurate position, which should help to get a faster fix for regular GPS.. You can check if it works when you open GPSInfo or PureMaps and you get a horizontal accuracy. This can be several 1000 meters, depending on the cell tower information. For me with XA2 I dont get a GPS fix in 100% at all, but this is an other issue.

black_sheep_dev's picture

Ok. Fixed it. New offline packages are out.

ABreen's picture

That seems to work. At least at my current location

ABreen's picture

Thanks for the reply.
When I first tried using your mlsdb data I was able to get a quick location close to where I was located but not anymore.
Is the problem that there is two geoclue provider folders?
Otherwise do you have any other things for me to try?

Hi there,

after some investigations, it seems to me that the problem is moving the mlsdb data to "/home/.system/usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb" and create a symlink instead.
This I did some days ago and it seemed to work, unfortunatley not  :-S.

Can you please do the following in console:

1. devel-su
  2. rm /usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb/[country_code] (replace [country_code] with e.g. nz)
  3. cp -r /home/.system/usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb/[country_code] /usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb/[country_code]

Then restart your device and look if it works again. In the meantime I will prepare new packages installing the data in system partition again, until I have a solution for that.

ABreen's picture

One thing I've noticed is each time I launch MLS Manager is that there is always a message saying "No offline packages available, check your internet connection " After a few seconds the list of offline packages is displayed with a tick mark by my downloaded packages.
Is the app operating correctly?

black_sheep_dev's picture

This is normal. At start i refresh the repo which takes some seconds. This can fail when you have no internet connection. This message is displayed when the list is empty. Maybe I replace this with an busy indicator on app start.

ABreen's picture

Those folders and links are there and there's 8 mlsdb.data files.

I note in the share/geoclue-providers folder there is two provider folders. geoclue-hybris.provider and geoclue-mlsdb.provider. Is the hybris option supposed to be there?

ABreen's picture

My country is New Zealand. High accuracy is turned on. I'll try uninstalling and re installing and have a look in that folder. Thanks