Whisperfish

Your rating: None Average: 5 (28 votes)

The new Whisperfish 0.6 is getting functional. Whisperfish should be in a usable state for many users; make sure to have the latest version! Also, check our Wiki and feel free to contribute to it! Currently, mimimum supported SailfishOS version is 3.3. We intend to keep compatibility with 3.4 for as long as humanly possible.

What to expect

If you had a pre-existing, working 0.5 installation with default settings, migration should be a breeze. Notably not working:

• Creating groups (planned for beta.1)
  • GroupsV2 ("private groups", created after 14 Oct 2020) messages (planned for beta.1). If you have a private group on Android or iOS, please do not yet migrate!
  • Session reset and identity reset in Whisperfish (planned for beta.1)
  • Linking with Signal Desktop (planned for beta.1)

Additionally, the Sailfish 4.0 series introduced a few issues, and possibly new features; notably:

• Registration on SailfishOS 4.0.1.45 EA. The rendering of a reCAPTCHA does not work in any of the available webviews. This will be fixed in the next SailfishOS release. Meanwhile, use this patch which will be offered to you as an update after enabling this OpenRepos repository. Install the update and then register. Do not install it on 3.4, there's no need. If it still doesn't work, run zypper ref ; zypper dup -r openrepos-rubdos on the command line as root and accept the update of the three webview packages.

Contribute: get in touch, report issues and translate!

If the app behaves strangely or slow (I have a strong dislike for slow software) to you, please get in touch on Matrix #whisperfish:rubdos.be or on Freenode #whisperfish, file an issue, or send an email to whisperfish [at] rubdos [dot] be, or post on the SailfishOS Forum topic. If it works well already, alse let me know! That's good for morale.

Development and progress

Follow the progress of the rework in the 0.6 milestone on Gitlab. If you are interested in contributing, contact me on Gitlab. If you want to discuss development, join the discussion on Matrix #whisperfish:rubdos.be.

There are nightly builds (in form of RPM) available on Gitlab. Nighlies eat batteries for breakfast, break up with your girlfriend, and use magic to turn phones into bricks. If you want to use them, please come and chat on Matrix or IRC. Whenever there is a version that makes sense, and has a low probability of tearing apart the very fabric of the universe, it'll be here on Open Repos!

Donations

Thanks for the support, feel free to buy me a coffee! Liberapay allows for donations via PayPal or credit card. While I do appreciate the donations, please consider matching your donation towards Signal themselves. They need it more than I do, now more than ever! Also consider donating to Weblate, because they provide their translation hosting service to us and many other SailfishOS applications at no cost!

License note

The original Whisperfish 0.5.0, by Andrew, was released under GPLv3+. Since we are using the upstream code of Signal themselves, partly licensed under AGPLv3+, the whole of Whisperfish 0.6.0 falls under AGPLv3+.

File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.alpha_.1.armv7hl.rpm2.19 MB08/07/2020 - 11:14
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.alpha_.8.i486.rpm7.45 MB09/02/2021 - 14:16
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.alpha_.8.armv7hl.rpm6.74 MB09/02/2021 - 14:16
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.alpha_.9.aarch64.rpm6.82 MB19/03/2021 - 12:11
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.alpha_.9.i486.rpm7.42 MB19/03/2021 - 12:24
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.alpha_.9.armv7hl.rpm6.72 MB19/03/2021 - 12:25

Whisperfish 1.0.0 (planned)

The milestone on GitLab for this release

Many big plans!

Whisperfish 0.6.0 (planned)

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

• Feature parity with, and modernized version of Whisperfish 0.5.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.1 (planned)

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

Features

Translations

• We have a Weblate account now!
  • Portuguese translation, thanks to Yield and Antonio Maretzek!
  • Czech translation, thanks to PawelSpoon!
  • Turkish translation, thanks to Oğuz Ersen!
  • Nowegian translation, thanks to Allan Nordhøy!
  • Many, many, many, MANY cleanup operations on Dutch, German, French, and Spanish, thanks to Nathan, Dryo, and J. Lavoie!

Fixes

• More stable reconnection management. Flight mode and network changes should now work as expected.
  • Access contacts through the Nemo QML interface instead of raw contacts.db. This interface will probably be more stable than the raw SQLite, and keeps compatibility across 3.x and 4.x.
  • A "privileged file" allows us to read contact lists again on SailfishOS 4.0
  • More or less fixed video playback
  • Fix lingering notifications on session activation, thanks to flypig!
  • JPEG rotation is now correct in Whisperfish (but not yet on Android), thanks to Mirian Margiani.
  • Image zoom is more intuitive for images that are almost the same size as the screen, thanks to Mirian Margiani.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.9

Fixes startup on upgraded contact database.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.8

Features/fixes

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.7

Features

Fixes

• Create the correct attachments download directory, should fix attachments downloading for new installations.
  • Some phone numbers (notably with dashes, parantheses or dots) did not show up with names.
  • New members in a group show up, group renames come through.
  • Group members show up as names, not phone numbers, thanks to Thomas Michel.
  • Fixes copying message to clipboard, thanks to Thomas Michel.
  • Auto-focus password field, thanks to Markus.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.6

Features

• The conversation page got a complete overhaul in design. I hope you like it.

Fixes

• Fix a race condition during registration, which may corrupt the settings file.
  • Sent messages update the session view
  • More names show up correctly in session view (please file an issue if it's still buggy!)
  • Session sections
  • Sent attachments show up as thumbnails
  • Some translation work in the (currently disfunctional) Device List page

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.5

Features

• Sending new messages to a single contact, clean-up of contact selection
  • Started French language translation
    • French translation finished (thanks Thibaut Vandervelden)
  • Spanish translation got a lot of clean-up (thanks carlosgonz)
  • Settings page looks a lot nicer

Fixes

• Settings page revamped, looks a lot cleaner
  • attachment_dir was not set on settings init.
  • Contact DB fix for non-nemo users (new 3.4 installs, alternate users)
  • Show build ID in about screen
  • Notifications with vibration and sound

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.4

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

Features:

Under the hood:

• Partial support new UUID-based identifiers
  • Initial tooling for future database migrations
  • Pre-key refreshing
  • Attachment failure log (set attachment_log=true in harbour-whisperfish.conf)

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.3

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

• Sending direct and group messages, notably no attachments.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.2

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

• Receiving messages and their attachments

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.1

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

Comments

TMavica's picture

I want a 64 bit build

rubdos's picture

There is an aarch64 build, if that's what you mean. I haven't tested it (no device with aarch64 SailfishOS), but it should work. Or do you mean an x86_64/amd64 build?

yomark's picture

x2, tnx rubdos!

dalas_revo's picture

Hi @rubdos, thanks a lot for this app! Unfortunately I have a problem: it won't start, I see the spinning circle and then it closes again. When starting from terminal, I see:

[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
thread 'main' panicked at 'open contact database: BadConnection("Unable to open the database file")', src/model/contact
.rs:58:14
note: run with `RUST_BACKTRACE=1` environment variable to display a backtrace
Panic in Arbiter thread.

I am on a freshly installed XA2 on SFOS 4.0.1.48.

rubdos's picture

Owkay, I just tried to do the backport of the relevant patches, but it's a mess to back port. Beta.1 will include a totally new GUI and a big refactor of the backend, so it's non-trivial conflicts a volonté here.

I'll prepare a version alpha.9 that ignores the error instead, such that WF will start again. I'm spending a lot of time getting beta.1 in shape, it'll be awesome!

dalas_revo's picture

Thanks for your hard work on this issue and on the app!

rubdos's picture

Thanks for reporting, I'll try to fix that tomorrow in a new alpha.9. I didn't realize that I had not included the contact fixes in alpha.8. That probably means that practically nobody can use Whisperfish on 4.0.1.48, but you're the first to report. Pretty curious.

nerd7473's picture

Will we get videocalls eventually?

rubdos's picture

Very very eventually, I hope to implement that indeed :-)

delocoyo's picture

noax8 ....I cant join

rubdos's picture

I've sent you an invite, hope that's better now :)

delocoyo's picture

I cant find the room in matrix using Elements

rubdos's picture

By the way, if you still want to join, try to type /join #whisperfish:rubdos.be in any chat. Otherwise, let me know your Matrix username and I'll invite you!

delocoyo's picture

I have just send it in gitlab. I dont if thats tge best way for you,

rubdos's picture

Yes, let's continue this on Gitlab, that's perfect :-)

delocoyo's picture

Also if I try to open, holfing the message I cab open or delete. If I push open , the app failed.

delocoyo's picture

And I can even heard the audios

delocoyo's picture

Where should I send it to you?

delocoyo's picture

Hej rubdos. Been in koli 4 I cant read or see pictures that people is sending to me. I receive them, but cant open them.

rubdos's picture

Did this work before? Do their thumbnails show up? Please show me the contents of `.config/harbour-whisperfish/harbour-whisperfish.conf`, e.g. by running `cat .config/harbour-whisperfish/harbour-whisperfish.conf | grep attachment`. I think I know what bug this is; if I'm right this will be solved in the next release, but I'll walk you through getting it fixed already.

konst's picture

Hello! The app doesn't start. Freshly installed SFOS on XA2, 4.0.1.48.

When I tap on the icon, it moves in the screen with other running apps, then disappears in ~5 seconds

inte's picture

Is it just me or are conatcts not syncing any more in 4.0.1.48? And, by the way, the contact name shown previously appears to be the name stored in the nickname field which is not optimal since messenger id is stored in this field by the system when using the built in chat function??

rubdos's picture

Definitely not just you. It's in the description:

This is fixed in the master branch. Maybe I should branch out *yet another* alpha, now that 4.0 is actually released...

edp17's picture

Hello,
Thank you for working on native a Signal client.
The previous ones worked fine but the latest version on my Note4 port (SFOS 4.0.1.45) doesn't work. When I hit the Register button, I only get a white screen, then little later it displays a message at the top: "Could not connect to the reCAPTCHA service. Please check your internet connection and reload to get a reCAPTCHA challenge."
The internet (wifi) is on as I just installed the app and there is no way to reload the page. There is some log here: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/XYw92dYNKv/

rubdos's picture

This is sadly something we didn't get to work around on 4.0. See known issues here in the description and on https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/wikis/home

I suggest you register on a 3.4 device and copy over your storage directories, we do not a have a fix handy yet, we're awaiting a bug report with Jolla.

edp17's picture

Thank you. I'll try that.

rubdos's picture

Check https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/issues/229 for the right directories!

lunatix's picture

Hello @rubdos and thank you very much for this app. Here my few questions:
- Do you confirm that we cannot run the android app and your app at the same time?
- Is there any workaround to join existing groups ? Or do we need to create new groups ourselves?
- Any plan to implement the "swipe move" to answer to a specific message?
Once again, thank you very much for your work, keep it up!

rubdos's picture

Yes, Whisperfish and the Android Signal app are both "primary device" apps. Ntninja has a work-in-progress branch that would enable Whisperfish to act as "secondary device", which would enable using WF and an official app at the same time. This is not a priority for me though.

No workaround for GroupV2, we have to implement completely new crypto for this. Creating groups from Whisperfish is also not possible. The only thing you can do, is to ask a group member to create a new group that includes you from the beginning. GroupV2 is high on the priority list because of several reasons.

Swipe move? If you refer to "reacting" to a message (both with emoji and with text), yes, this is planned, but not a priority currently.

lunatix's picture

Thank you for your answers!