Whisperfish

Your rating: None Average: 5 (41 votes)

Whisperfish is an advanced but unofficial Signal client. Whisperfish should be in a usable state for many users, but is still considered beta quality software; make sure to always have the latest version! Also, check our Wiki and feel free to contribute to it! Currently, mimimum supported SailfishOS version is 3.4. We intend to keep compatibility with 3.3 for as long as humanly possible.

Do not ever contact the Signal developers about a Whisperfish issue. You will annoy them and make them dislike us. Contact us instead (see below).

What to expect

If you had a pre-existing, working 0.5 installation with default settings, migration should be a breeze. Notably not working:

• Creating groups, inviting new members, deleting members (planned for later)
  • Message quotes (the UI element is there, but the implementation currently lacks)
  • Many other UI features are just stubs at this point.
  • Whisperfish as secondary device, if you register Whisperfish, your previous registration (Android/iOS) gets disabled.

SailfishOS platform version notes and known issues

The intention is to keep as many versions of SailfishOS supported for as long as possible. Some versions show bugs specific to that SailfishOS version. If it is not possible to upgrade to the version mentioned below, you can use the workarounds mentioned here.

Currently highest tested SailfishOS version: SailfishOS 4.2

SailfishOS 3.x series

Bugs present in the Sailfish 3.x series

In principle, Whisperfish works on SailfishOS 3.3, except for registration.

Installation on SailfishOS 3.x

Since the release of SailfishOS 4.3, there has been an ABI-incompatible change between 3.x and 4.x. Whisperfish is now built separately for 3.x and 4.x, and both packages are available in this repository. If Storeman cannot figure out the correct version for your 3.x installation, you can install Whisperfish via the commandline (after adding the repository):

zypper install harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0.beta.7-0.sf3.armv7hl

SailfishOS 4.x series

The Sailfish 4.x series introduced a few issues, and possibly new features; notably:

• Registration on SailfishOS 4.0.1.45 EA. The rendering of a reCAPTCHA does not work in any of the available webviews. This will be fixed in the next SailfishOS release. Meanwhile, use this patch which will be offered to you as an update after enabling this OpenRepos repository. Install the update and then register. Do not install it on any other version than SailfishOS 4.0, there's no need. If it still doesn't work, run zypper ref ; zypper dup -r openrepos-rubdos on the command line as root and accept the update of the three webview packages.
  • Especially SailfishOS 4.2 required a major change in the event loop structure. Make sure you use Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.6 or later.

Contribute: get in touch, report issues and translate!

If the app behaves strangely or slow (I have a strong dislike for slow software) to you, please get in touch on Matrix #whisperfish:rubdos.be or on Libera.Chat #whisperfish, file an issue, or send an email to whisperfish [at] rubdos [dot] be, or post on the SailfishOS Forum topic. If it works well already, alse let me know! That's good for morale.

Development and progress

Follow the progress of the rework in the 0.6 milestone on Gitlab. If you are interested in contributing, contact me on Gitlab. If you want to discuss development, join the discussion on Matrix #whisperfish:rubdos.be.

There are nightly builds (in form of RPM) available on Gitlab. Nighlies eat batteries for breakfast, break up with your girlfriend, and use magic to turn phones into bricks. If you want to use them, please come and chat on Matrix or IRC. Whenever there is a version that makes sense, and has a low probability of tearing apart the very fabric of the universe, it'll be here on Open Repos!

Donations

Thanks for the support, feel free to buy me a coffee! Liberapay allows for donations via PayPal or credit card. While I do appreciate the donations, please consider matching your donation towards Signal themselves. They need it more than I do, now more than ever! Also consider donating to Weblate, because they provide their translation hosting service to us and many other SailfishOS applications at no cost!

License note

The original Whisperfish 0.5.0, by Andrew, was released under GPLv3+. Since we are using the upstream code of Signal themselves, partly licensed under AGPLv3+, the whole of Whisperfish 0.6.0 falls under AGPLv3+.

File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.alpha_.1.armv7hl.rpm2.19 MB08/07/2020 - 11:14
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.beta_.5.i486.rpm6.01 MB28/07/2021 - 15:15
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.beta_.5.armv7hl.rpm5.79 MB28/07/2021 - 15:15
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.beta_.5.aarch64.rpm5.59 MB28/07/2021 - 15:15
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.beta_.6.armv7hl.rpm5.91 MB17/09/2021 - 10:23
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.beta_.6.aarch64.rpm5.71 MB17/09/2021 - 10:23
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0-0.beta_.6.i486.rpm6.19 MB17/09/2021 - 10:23
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0.beta_.7-0.sf3_.armv7hl.rpm15.47 MB12/11/2021 - 15:52
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0.beta_.7-0.sf4_.aarch64.rpm15.25 MB12/11/2021 - 15:52
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0.beta_.7-0.sf4_.armv7hl.rpm15.49 MB12/11/2021 - 15:52
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0.beta_.7-0.sf4_.i486.rpm16.4 MB12/11/2021 - 15:52
File harbour-whisperfish-0.6.0.beta_.7-0.sf3_.aarch64.rpm15.25 MB12/11/2021 - 17:31

Whisperfish 1.0.0 (planned)

The milestone on GitLab for this release (th

Many big plans!

Whisperfish 0.6.0 (planned)

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

Features

• Feature parity with, and modernized version of Whisperfish 0.5.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.7

Edition "omg OpenSSL".

Changes

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.6

Edition "invert the event loop". Write-up here: https://github.com/woboq/qmetaobject-rs/issues/102#issuecomment-919798690

Features

Fixes

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.5

Fixes

• Reception of messages with attachments, but without accompanying text
  • Show contact/payment/deletion/group call update messages as "unimplemented" instead of empty.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.4

Features

• MyBackup compatibility, thanks to Nathan!
  • Display group changes and message timer changes in chat.

Fixes

• Fix usage of configured attachment path
  • Fix the many empty messages sent by Android and iOS clients for profile key pushes

Translations

• Add Lithuanian, by Gediminas Murauskas
  • Updates to Greek, French, Turkish, Dutch, and Vlaams. Thanks to all contributors!

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.3

Emergency release for the HTTP-500 "nothing can be send" bug and the BadKeyType bug.

Fixes

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.2 (yanked)

Emergency release for the HTTP-500 "nothing can be send" bug.

Features

Fixes

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.1

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

Features

Translations

• We have a Weblate account now!
  • Portuguese translation, thanks to Yield and Antonio Maretzek!
  • Czech translation, thanks to PawelSpoon!
  • Turkish translation, thanks to Oğuz Ersen!
  • Nowegian translation, thanks to Allan Nordhøy!
  • Many, many, many, MANY cleanup operations on Dutch, German, French, and Spanish, thanks to Nathan, Dryo, and J. Lavoie!

Fixes

• More stable reconnection management. Flight mode and network changes should now work as expected.
  • Access contacts through the Nemo QML interface instead of raw contacts.db. This interface will probably be more stable than the raw SQLite, and keeps compatibility across 3.x and 4.x.
  • A "privileged file" allows us to read contact lists again on SailfishOS 4.0
  • More or less fixed video playback
  • Fix lingering notifications on session activation, thanks to flypig!
  • JPEG rotation is now correct in Whisperfish (but not yet on Android), thanks to Mirian Margiani.
  • Image zoom is more intuitive for images that are almost the same size as the screen, thanks to Mirian Margiani.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.9

Fixes startup on upgraded contact database.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.8

Features/fixes

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.7

Features

Fixes

• Create the correct attachments download directory, should fix attachments downloading for new installations.
  • Some phone numbers (notably with dashes, parantheses or dots) did not show up with names.
  • New members in a group show up, group renames come through.
  • Group members show up as names, not phone numbers, thanks to Thomas Michel.
  • Fixes copying message to clipboard, thanks to Thomas Michel.
  • Auto-focus password field, thanks to Markus.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.6

Features

• The conversation page got a complete overhaul in design. I hope you like it.

Fixes

• Fix a race condition during registration, which may corrupt the settings file.
  • Sent messages update the session view
  • More names show up correctly in session view (please file an issue if it's still buggy!)
  • Session sections
  • Sent attachments show up as thumbnails
  • Some translation work in the (currently disfunctional) Device List page

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.5

Features

• Sending new messages to a single contact, clean-up of contact selection
  • Started French language translation
    • French translation finished (thanks Thibaut Vandervelden)
  • Spanish translation got a lot of clean-up (thanks carlosgonz)
  • Settings page looks a lot nicer

Fixes

• Settings page revamped, looks a lot cleaner
  • attachment_dir was not set on settings init.
  • Contact DB fix for non-nemo users (new 3.4 installs, alternate users)
  • Show build ID in about screen
  • Notifications with vibration and sound

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.4

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

Features:

Under the hood:

• Partial support new UUID-based identifiers
  • Initial tooling for future database migrations
  • Pre-key refreshing
  • Attachment failure log (set attachment_log=true in harbour-whisperfish.conf)

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.3

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

• Sending direct and group messages, notably no attachments.

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.2

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

• Receiving messages and their attachments

Whisperfish 0.6.0-alpha.1

The milestone on Gitlab for this release

• GUI performance improvement

Comments

rubdos's picture

Added!

damoleon's picture

Hi, I’ve installed alpha7 successfully. Thanks a lot !
My contacts cannot add me to a group though.
They get a message like “the person you added doesn’t accept “new groups” and must update signal”
Is there something i can do or just wait for this to be implemented ?

rubdos's picture

Looks like they now enforce GroupsV2, so I'll move that up the priority list.

pvcn's picture

Thanks for the update! Do i understand the release notes right that opening attachments now works, but only if i deinstall whisperfish and reinstall it again?

rubdos's picture

There should be no need to reinstall. If it still does not work, please get in touch, because it should just work™.

huggymann's picture

Hello
I am one of the Installations where attachment (image in this case) is not working. By tapping on the attachment a new empty page is coming. Dont know what should have been coming instead. If i click on open the app crashes and i go back to sailfish app overview immediately.
I wrote also on freenode. But in browser . Is there a sailfish app?

rubdos's picture

Figured this out over chat, and meanwhile, alpha.7 should've solved this for everyone else!

miglincit's picture

I just installed Whisperfish but there is no registration porocess ?!

rubdos's picture

Hi! Could you check that you have the latest version, alpha.6? Have you had a previous installation of Whisperfish? What do you see instead of the registration? Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! If you want to have a quicker response, have a chat on Matrix or IRC, e.g. via https://webchat.freenode.net/#whisperfish .

delocoyo's picture

I see. Maybe you can get help from the community? You have done a great job in a short time. Keep rocking rubdos

rubdos's picture

Thanks! Yes, I have a lot of help, especially half a year ago. Currently, the most import aspect is testing and getting things a lot more stable :-)

We're having a small chatting community on Matrix and Freenode, feel free to come say hi!

delocoyo's picture

I have tried the las verdion, and I am impress. Thanks a lot rubdos. my question is if at somepoint the videl or the calling will be presrnt at some point, so I can stop uding android one. Thank u soooo much

rubdos's picture

I do want video calling and audio calling at some point in the future, but it'll be a lot of work. Track it here: https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/milestones/5

delocoyo's picture

I cant find those directories

rubdos's picture

Could you send me an email on whisperfish [at] rubdos [dot] be, or come on Matrix or IRC (see description)? We'll sort it out there.

huggymann's picture

Hello. I habe the app installed but forgot my password and would lile to completely re Setup the app. Even after uninstall and install, it is in the Same state, asking me for pw and shows that i have connected with my mobile number. Am i stupid? Could you help me?

rubdos's picture

Hi! No, you're not stupid at all. The data is in `.local/share/harbour-whisperfish` and `.config/harbour-whisperfish`. If you delete those two directories, you can re-register. I have not yet made a reset button.

I've made a note about a "reset"-feature here: https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/issues/155

Rene666's picture

Hello, I've installed the Whisperfish. I cannot send or receive messages. When sending, there are always inadmissible recipients. Can you help me? Thank you

Hallo, ich habe mir die Whisperfish installiert. Ich kann weder senden noch Empfangen von Nachrichten. Beim versenden kommt immer unzulässige Empfänger. Können Sie mir helfen? Danke

rubdos's picture

Hi! Could you get in touch with me over e-mail? I do not write German myself, but I can read it pretty well, so feel free to write me in German. whisperfish [at] rubdos.be will arrive well :-)

You can also join on the Matrix or IRC channel, as described in the app description.

If at all possible, I'd like to see a trace log of Whisperfish until right after you log in with your password. You can get this by running `RUST_LOG=trace harbour-whisperfish > whisperfish.log`, then logging in, closing the app, and sending me the resulting log file (whisperfish.log in your home directory). You may want to open the log file and censor out the connect URL half way through, you can find it by looking for your own phone number.

If the above is not clear, just get in touch, and I'll walk you through it!

pvcn's picture

Thank you very much for your work on this! Updated a few days ago, but push notifications don't work, just got a lot of old messages after reboot...

rubdos's picture

Hmm, they should work. Can you get in touch via Matrix/IRC/mail? Then we can sort it out! Feel free to drop a message at me [at] rubdos [dot] be if you're not on Matrix/IRC.

pvcn's picture

Ok, thanks, i just wrote you a mail to whisperfish[at]rubdos.be

NGC_Ollie's picture

Ok, you got me, I installed alpha5. Thanks for that, works like a charm, a huge improvement, especially the groups. Only tiny bits I found:
- when I switch from a dark to a light ambiance the font stays in the dark mode.
- sometimes I'm unable to see my last messages in the groups when on the conversations overview. I don't really care about that, but it's good to know.
- Image preview from pics I sent stay as a filled rectangle, no preview. But it sends, that's important!
Would you like to have issues/tickets on github or do you prefer comments like this?

rubdos's picture

Issues on Gitlab work the best, indeed. We're aware of the second issue (there's a merge request for that in progress), but number one and three are currently undocumented. Filing at https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/issues/new would be thoroughly apperiated!

I'm glad you like the new version :-)

NGC_Ollie's picture

Actually there is no main show stopper, so you're right, beta might be considerable, since 0.5 gets more and more unstable. I need a smooth transition from 0.5 to 0.6, that's all, because I use WF since ages and I don't want to lose all conversations. I need that app on a daily basis, because I avoid any messenger like whatsapp, Telegram or worse.

rubdos's picture

FWIW, the only known issue on Whisperfish 0.6 alpha.5 is during registration. If you currently run 0.5, I think you'd be happy to try out alpha.5 already. I'm using it as daily, together with many others. 0.6 uses the exact same db and storage as 0.5, the compatibility was my first priority.

EDIT: wrt to 0.5 compatibility, 0.6 only supports the encrypted database ON, unencrypted database is untested (at least by me), but should be easy enough to implement. Let me know if you have any peculiar settings, because we've mainly tested default settings!

NGC_Ollie's picture

Ok, I love WF, it's the last reason why I can deactivate the Android layer. Thanks a lot for maintaining this app. I didn't install it yet, because I'm a sheepish chicken, but as soon as 0.6 is stable I'll drown you with feedback.

rubdos's picture

The "stable" label is something I'm very careful with, won't be there for a while. The meaning of "stable" will be the feature parity with 0.5. I think you might want to consider stepping in at beta.1 or beta.2, I expect those to be mostly bug-free (but not feature complete). We haven't had very many bugs yet, and those bugs we had, were easily mitigated.

I am interested in hearing what the main blockers or would-be features are for you! Thanks for the feedback :-)

broncheoli's picture

Dear rubdos,

first of all, thanks for developing this app, I will pay you some money for your effort.

I have a problem. I had signal installed to try it out. After some installing and deleting Whisperfish, I also deleted Signal. No problem so far. I now wanted to newly register with wisperfish but the dialog refuses to show up. I deleted WF and also deleted the folder under ~/.config with no luck, after reinstalling WF no register-dialog. What more do I have to delete to start from scratch?

Thanks in advance, broncheolus.

broncheoli's picture

I found the solution. I also deleted the WF folder under ~/.local/share/. Everything works fine now. Thanks. :-))