OSM Scout Server

Your rating: None Average: 5 (77 votes)

OSM Scout Server is a native offline maps provider. This server can be used as a drop-in replacement for online map services providing map tiles, search, and routing. As a result, together with the map client, a full offline solution is available for map search and navigation (car, bicycle, and walking).

The server can be used to provide:

• map tiles for other applications;
  • search for locations and free text search;
  • search for POIs next to a reference;
  • calculate the route between two or more locations.

To use the server, you have to start it and configure the client to access it. Poor Maps and modRana have support for the server already with no additional configuration needed.

NB! For SFOS < 4.1 users - starting from 2.0.2 release, SFOS 4.1.0.23 is required for the builds published at OpenRepos. For older SFOS, please use OBS.

OBS: https://build.merproject.org/project/show/home:rinigus:maps

Specific update instructions:

1.15.0 Valhalla database format has been updated. Please update maps after installation.

1.14.3 I suggest to uninstall old version of the server, check if anything stayed in /usr/share/harbour-osmscout-server and if that folder is there and/or not empty, remove it using devel-su. After that, install a new version (1.14.3 and up).

NB! When Mapbox GL schema is changed (as for 1.4.0), please remove Mapbox GL application caches.

NB! When a new backend is added, such as with the release of 0.9.0 and 0.10.0, please ensure that you have subscription information updated. For that, in Map Manager, click on "Check for updates", decline updates, and unsubscribe/subscribe each territory that you have subscribed. After that, proceed with the downloads. This is not needed if you don't want to use the added backend(s).

For detailed up-to-date description, please see https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/blob/master/README.md

License: GPL
Source code: https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server

User's guide: https://rinigus.github.io/osmscout-server

Official TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97823

Donations: https://rinigus.github.io/donate

Screenshots show the running server and, as an example client application, Poor Maps accessing the map tiles and calculated route prior to navigation.

Maps are hosted by Natural Language Processing Centre (https://nlp.fi.muni.cz/en/ , Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic) through modRana (http://modrana.org)
data repository.

Map data from OpenStreetMap, Open Database License 1.0. Maps are converted to a suitable format from downloaded extracts and/or using polygons as provided by Geofabrik GmbH.

File harbour-osmscout-server-1.13.1-1.107.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm11.67 MB01/02/2019 - 00:01
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.13.1-1.107.1.jolla_.i486.rpm12.65 MB01/02/2019 - 00:01
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.14.5-1.116.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm5.82 MB23/05/2019 - 08:04
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.14.5-1.116.1.jolla_.i486.rpm6.61 MB23/05/2019 - 08:04
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.15.0-1.119.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm6.17 MB22/09/2019 - 08:29
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.15.0-1.119.1.jolla_.i486.rpm7.01 MB22/09/2019 - 08:29
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.15.5-1.120.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm6.18 MB29/10/2019 - 23:45
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.15.5-1.120.1.jolla_.i486.rpm7.01 MB29/10/2019 - 23:45
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.15.6-1.125.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm6.68 MB30/11/2019 - 16:09
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.15.6-1.125.1.jolla_.i486.rpm7.58 MB30/11/2019 - 16:09
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.16.0-1.127.1.jolla_.i486.rpm7.65 MB23/01/2020 - 19:32
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.16.0-1.127.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm6.72 MB23/01/2020 - 19:32
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.16.1-1.129.1.jolla_.i486.rpm8.25 MB07/05/2020 - 20:39
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.16.1-1.129.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm6.97 MB07/05/2020 - 20:39
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.17.0-1.132.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm6.97 MB25/07/2020 - 19:39
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.17.0-1.132.1.jolla_.i486.rpm8.25 MB25/07/2020 - 19:39
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.17.1-1.135.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm7.14 MB20/11/2020 - 22:18
File harbour-osmscout-server-1.17.1-1.135.2.jolla_.i486.rpm8.43 MB23/11/2020 - 22:23
File harbour-osmscout-server-2.0.0-1.137.1.jolla_.i486.rpm7.97 MB29/03/2021 - 22:50
File harbour-osmscout-server-2.0.0-1.137.1.jolla_.armv7hl.rpm6.78 MB29/03/2021 - 22:50
File harbour-osmscout-server-2.0.1-1.aarch64.rpm6.93 MB16/04/2021 - 21:28
File harbour-osmscout-server-2.0.2-1.aarch64.rpm6.93 MB16/05/2021 - 21:49
File harbour-osmscout-server-2.0.2-1.armv7hl.rpm6.79 MB16/05/2021 - 21:49
File harbour-osmscout-server-2.0.2-1.i486.rpm7.99 MB17/05/2021 - 17:43

Comments

rinigus's picture

I wanted to avoid gcc recompile, but looks like this is needed. I'll start it and ping you when its ready

alex000090's picture

Thank you Rinigus!

rinigus's picture

Hi! Try again. This time its compiled with newer compiler and I haven't had a chance to test it yet, as gcc for my SFOS version is still compiled by OBS. Let me know how it went

rinigus's picture

Great! Then you can grab MapboxGL QML from there as well

alex000090's picture

I tested the maps. Poor maps work fine with OSM server. Excellent!

rinigus's picture

Nice to hear, enjoy!

alex000090's picture

Hi Rinigus! I've installed OSM from 3.0.3.9 repo. There was no errors due to installation. The program starts fine. Thank you wery much!

alex000090's picture

Many thanks for program! Unfortunately I have unofficial Sailfish OS build 3.0.3.10 for my Xiaomi Redmi 4X with old LibC.
1.14 version installs fine, but 1.15 not.
Maybe somebody have old version of maps (map folder) for 1.14 version program for Russia, Germany, Czech and maybe other. Could one share it?

rinigus's picture

Try to get 1.15 from http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:/rinigus:/maps/sailfish_3.0.2.8_armv...

Let me know if it worked for you

alex000090's picture

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately this build is needed in libicuuc52 and program don't start without this lib.

rinigus's picture

I have compiled a version for sailfish_3.0.3.9_armv7hl. Try that

alex000090's picture

Many thanks, Rinigus!

I try to use that build but there is same problem. I try to use both versions of your builds with two methods to correct icu52 problem:

1. I try to create symlinc libicuuc.so.52 and libicui18n.so.52 to my system libralies libicuuc.so.63 and libicui18n.so.63.

2. I try to manual download libicu52 rpm file built for Sailfish and unpack it to /usr/local/lib. After this i use LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib before the command.

Unfortunately, both of this method for both of your builds give QML loader error:

[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/bin/harbour-osmscout-server
[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
[W] unknown:57 - file:///usr/share/harbour-osmscout-server/qml/platform/PagePL.qml:57:9: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property "active"
*** Error in `/usr/bin/harbour-osmscout-server': munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0xbb54c89c ***
Aborted

I think this mistake consist in incompatibility libicu52 to use with any other programs which run on newer version libicu63. And so we get ERROR.

Could you try to build OSM server with libicu63 if it possible? I don't know but maybe Build Toolchain for 3.0.3.10 contains libicu63 instead 52 version...

rinigus's picture

I don't know which was the version of SFOS when we switched to ICU63. But it looks like https://build.merproject.org/package/binary/home:rinigus:maps/osmscout-s... dependes on icu63

alex000090's picture

Yes, it right. But this verion depends on GLIBC_2.28 but I my system there is 2.25 just.

Kabouik's picture

This is an old backup phone, still in 2.2. I see that this might be the issue and that it is not resolved on Github. Sorry I missed it.

Kabouik's picture

When trying to install from Storeman or terminal, I get an error stating that libicuuc.so.63 is required but no package provides it. I already tried pkcon refresh. Any ideas? I already have an older version of OSM Scout Server installed, but when trying to download maps in China, I am warned that my version is incompatible.

amaretzek's picture

Hi rinigus!
Nice things you created, thanks.
On SFOS 3.0.3.10 I can't install 1.15.0, I get missing GLIBC_2.28, 1.14 I can't download maps and SFOS 3.1 kills distinctive ringtones. Is there a way out (have offline maps on 3.0.3)? Thanks.

rinigus's picture

I presume that you are hitting a bug https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/318

So far, I don't know a solution and I am not sure when I will have time to work on it.

amaretzek's picture

not sure I could follow the rationale. Just checked, J1 3.1.0.11 w 1.15.0 is ok there, just not enough RAM to run Pure Maps, everything stalls, even Clock crashes... BTW, using OBS sailfish_3.0.2.8 gives me "requires libicudata.so.52" on install (SFOS 3.0.3). Now, between having Pure Maps wo distinctive ringtones on Xperia X and no Pure Maps but distinctive ringtones, I choose the latter one. Thanks.

kohle's picture

Hi rinigus!

I've just installed version 1.15.0-1.119.1 from the repository http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:/rinigus:/maps/sailfish_3.0.2.8_armv... on a JollaC with SailfishOS version 3.0.0.8

After starting the app on the command-line I receive the following error:

*** Error in `harbour-osmscout-server': munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0xb80bc04c ***

Do you have some hints for me to solve this?

Kohle

rinigus's picture

From short searching around it sounded like freeing pointer which has been modified. As for why - no idea currently. I had to recompile OSM Scout Server with opt-gcc6 (due to Valhalla), maybe this is leading to it. So, I wonder if its time to update for newer SFOS? Or that is somehow blocked on JC?

rinigus's picture

... alternative would be making special opt-gcc6 at OBS and recompiling with that for lower releases.

kohle's picture

Hi rinigus!

I finally took the "risk" to make a system update to SailfishOS 3.1.0.11. Everything went well and afterwards I successfully installed OSM Scout Server. Sorry for bothering you and thank you for your great effort!

Kohle

ferlanero's picture

OSM Scout Server already works as expected again, thanks!!

dirksche's picture

Great

csg1976's picture

Thanks a ton!

dirksche's picture

By opening PureMaps Server still not activating automatically. I have to start the server app by tapping the icon.

rinigus's picture

Which sailfish os version do you use? If it's 3.0.3.x, please see tmo thread

dirksche's picture

Okay. I did read this thread before and I thought your latest update would solve this problem. Missunderstanding. Thanks

carmenfdezb's picture

Ok, thanks for your answer :)